Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Filtering Shellac

Evening all,
    Until my order from Neil arrives, I thought I would have a go at sealing with some shellac. Just as a practice run.
    I've mixed up some Diggers shellac with their recommended stuff, and its really full of floating particles. (gunk really)
    I'm sure I've read here something about filtering shellac, but a search of the forum comes up with nothing, so I tried it through some lab filter paper. 5 hours later I've got a few millilitres....tried a coffee filter paper and got gunk again.
    Am I just dreaming, about filtering that is, or is there a recommended method?
    Regards,
    Noel

Use an old stocking
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Thanks Bob,
    just the clue required.
    ( Do I have to wait until she's finished with them??)
    Thanks,
    I'll try it in the morning.
    Regards,
    Noel

I've found cheap paper dust masks excelent filters for thin stuff like recycled turps so should be good for shelac as long as it isn't too thick and jammy.
    cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Thanks Soundman,
    Love choices....just checked the original filtration, and overnight there's only about an 1/8" in the bottom of a coffee jar. I'll try that on a bit of scrap too.
    Regards,
    Noel

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Like Bob said, use an old stocking, half the fun is getting it
    The 'gunk' is fairly big as a rule, bits of hessian etc, and the stocking will get rid of this easily, on my next batch I was going to try to put the shellac flakes in a stocking and immerse the lot in meths, save one stage and a bit of farting around.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Go to Spotlight, Lincraft or any shop that sells material and get some VIOL or any of the really fine woven sheer nylon type material used for curtain or bridal veils etc. Most will do the job very well.

Much better then stocking as the stocking weave opens up when stretched, miles better than cotton or linen which will close up when wet.

We use very fine viol for all our straining the shellac runs through pretty freely although very thick stuff may clog the weave and need to be cleaned away from the surface, just scrape it with the side of a spoon this will clear the material and allow the liquid to flow again, you may need to do this a few times.

Don't try to filter it through a funnel with the material down in the funnel but stretch the material so as to leave it away from the sides of the funnel. This gives a greater surface area for the polish to drain through rather than than a restricted area that will clog easily.

Cheers - Neil

Thanks Neil,
    Just knocked off ten minutes ago, and re-read the section in the Polishers Handbook, and the info I was searching for was in there (of course).
    Access to too much info, without organisation..that's my problem!!!
    The small amount I got through the lab paper I used today on a jig I had finished, and it glows! Not a viable filtration method though.
    Regards,
    Noel

I use the special paper funnels with built in filters that you can buy from paint shops. Crowies paint shops stock them in SA. They also stock tack cloths which are really handy for prepping prior to a shellac job.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    The small amount I got through the lab paper I used today on a jig I had finished, and it glows! Not a viable filtration method though.
    Regards,
    Noel
    Noel, did you put a fold in the filter before using it? A bit hard to explain without pictures put if you fold the funnel in half and then open it out again so theres a fold in one side it improves flow rate through the filter. It's a trick they hammered into me at uni during stage I chemistry.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigeo View Post
    Noel, did you put a fold in the filter before using it? A bit hard to explain without pictures put if you fold the funnel in half and then open it out again so theres a fold in one side it improves flow rate through the filter. It's a trick they hammered into me at uni during stage I chemistry.
    G'day,
    I actually used a multi-folded (pre-folded) paper that I used to use for removing micro-fine carbon from liquid. No wonder I only got a little through, I checked the box and they're a No.1. I'll also check the paint store funnels.
    Thanks for the info,
    Regards,
    Noel

Those spray painting filters are great (paper funnel with a filter in)
    you can get them from any auto refinish supplier.
    they are truly a fiddle saver and the mesh is micron rated so you know how big the holes are.
    AND you don't need to cop a slap in the face to get them

But if its a slap in the face you want, I'm sure if you explain the situation the bloke down the panel beates supplies would oblige as part of the service:eek:

cheers
    People are made of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by soundman View Post

But if its a slap in the face you want, I'm sure if you explain the situation the bloke down the panel beates supplies would oblige as part of the service:eek:

cheers
    Smirk, smirk.....probably true!!
    Regards,
    Noel

The dust mashs are finer than the spray painting filters and the work OK in a funnel because the front of them has a corigation .

cheers
    People are made of meat.