Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We also have SS cooktop and range hood and find cleaning with a SS cleaner no problems, but have been told to always wipe "with the grain".
    Is this a fact or just a furfie
    Macca

I've just (almost) finished my new kitchen and stainless is less trouble than you think. The stove we have is a 900mm freestanding job and cleaning the top is less trouble than the old baked enamel.
    I used solid tassie oak tops and fronts and stainless looks terrific against the timber. I chose against stainless tops and splashback as it would look too industrial and too expensive. I got the benchtops manufactured in tasmania and frieghted to Sydney for less than it would have cost for laminatex!!! Isn't shopping on the net fantastic.

Default "grain" polishing not required

Quote Originally Posted by macca2
    but have been told to always wipe "with the grain".
    I wipe in all directions and it hasn't made any difference in five years. I usually use swirls when clean and when buffing.

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER- 1px inset; BORDER- 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by macca2
    but have been told to always wipe "with the grain".

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I wipe in all directions and it hasn't made any difference in five years. I usually use swirls when clean and when buffing.

Silly me; I thought wood had grain and metal did not.

Now should I circular buff in clockwise or anticlockwise direction? And will me digital watch know?

Cheers

Graeme
    <!-- / message -->

I've also heard about wipeing with the grain - don't know about that, but the same guy that told me this also said the best thing to clean SS was builders lime. I tried that out on a shower rail that had rust/staining the thing came up like new! Haven't tried it out on the new stove/rangehood/dishwasher though --I could just imagine SWMBO face.

Graeme..........in Tassie? probably both clock and anti clock to be sure of getting it right.
    Your digital watch should check with your sundial, if you can catch it on a sunny day.

Macca

Most stainless does have a grain, due to the way it is polished (there is also micrograin but you won't see this). I've not noticed too much difference in cleaning with or against the grain, apart from on very "brushed" finishes.

BTW not coming clean after a "few wipes with a hankie" is not a sign of cheap and nasty, just a different finish. The "touch-free" surfaces advertised are simply a coating wich may come off after a while (less likely on fridges but many people can resist scrubbing an oven door).

Cheers,

Mark
    silkwood

(less likely on fridges but many people can resist scrubbing an oven door).

Let me assure you I have never had the urge!

Clean stainless ALWAYS with alkaline cleamer (e.g., soap suds) Rinse and dry. Detergents leave some sort of a film on it, and always look streaky!

Very happy with our 18 month old 900mm gas cook top and under bench oven (and new sink of course)! I do most of the kitchen cleaning and I find a quick wipe with a warm soapy cloth gets the spatters off, then a quick buff with a bit of old T shirt that I keep just for this job, always brings the gleam back. About once a week I use the 3M polish to add a bit of shine and protection to the surfaces. Certainly one heck of a lot easier than cleaning the old baked enamel stove we once had! Beware though, some SS can scratch quite easily.
    Jeff
    Life is just a leap of faith
    Spread your arms and hold your breath
    And always trust your cape

Hello, I'm new !
    I must be doing something wrong - I don't like SS. Maybe it's to do with two kids who leave handprints on my fridge and dishwasher although I can deal with that and marks do wipe quite easily with 3M spray, but it's the cooktop... Admittedly, I simmer my stocks and stews for hours on end. What seems to happen is some sort of chemical reaction which leaves nasty marks around the gas rings (not talking food spileage) which is impossible to clean without scrubbing and it takes ages to do. So I am tossing SS and going black ceran cooktop and integrating the old fridge and dishwasher.

Hi all, I have just finished renovating my kitchen and have used a 304 with a 4b finish stainless steel benchtop. I also have a stainless steel range hood, microwave and oven. Love the look and the easiness of cleaning.
    Would post pics but am new here and don't know how to yet.

Default big mistake

we ended up going stainless with the appliances but wish we didn't, i made some splash backs at work and it's all to much effort to keep clean, we both wish we had gone for white appliances and tiles. attached is pictures of the kitchen.

Our fridge and freezer - after a month's extensive research we have decided on either Fisher and Paykel's Iridium finish, or the new Westinghouse E series (if it ever arrives). Both of these look like stainless but are in fact either clear coated or a very convincing silver paint finish. Alternatively we considered buying white products and putting period doors on the front, but I am not convinced the integration kits are much chop.

BTW LG has ice and water compartments totally in the door, so there are no mechanicals eating up heaps of freezer space - they also have a mini-door on the fridge front that you can fit several 2 litre bottles into - the lid functions as a ledge as well .... fantastic ideas that came from GE originally. Leaving the mini door open for two hours equals leaving the fridge door open for 2 minutes, so it is extremely effective. Reason I bring it up is because it seems we mainly go to the fridge to get milk, butter, and drinks..... this has to add up to savings if they're accessible in this manner.

Finally, we lusted after the Liebherr fridge, with its 6 star rating - something like a 480 litre fridge side of their three door series, uses $38 in electricity per annum...... by far the largest and cheapest, but at $6700 or so, an incredibly dear proposition.

have fun
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here