Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default compressor about to buy one

Well after searching these forums, reading etc,
    I have decided to go for a beltdrive unit
    Am looking at a McMillian, AF12 which is a 11.7 CFM displacement, 8.5 cfm FAD.

I will be using it mainly for spraying, I have the Star S770 2mm gun.
    Have been quoted $779 including regulator/water trap.

Anybody like to comment on their McMillian?

Thanks

The price seems to be in the ball park.
    I would recomend that you look at a biger compressor if you can afford it and have the power supply to support it.

If you don't.... don't sweat it. just that bigger is always better.

I suppose you have done a search of the board for threads on compressors.

and checked other suppliers such as hare & forbes, gl;enfords and trade tools direct.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

From memory I paid just under $1000 for a 3 HP 17CFM 'Workshop SIP' compressor from "Simons" in Richmond about 6 years ago. Still going strong and I haven't even changed the air filters or performed an oil change:eek: woops.
    3 year warranty on the motor and 5 year warranty on the tank (55 litre)

I think?....it is the most powerful compressor you can get for a 15 Amp standard single phase power supply, but I stand to be corrected.

It seemed to cope when I resprayed my trusty old HK Wagon (big long roof).

Any way, if you going to spend around $800, prolly worth looking at what the most powerful compressors are worth for single phase....motto being, buy right, buy once.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Can't comment on the price, but I bought a McMillan 3000 series back in... oh, the late '80s/early '90s and it has been a right trooper. Has been in service 24/7 since, never unplugged.and, although no-one thought to check/top-up the oil level for almost 3 years (sacked the bloke who had that chore and... well... ) it has never needed repairs.

'Tis still going strong, I will buy another if this one doesn't outlast me.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Suggest you check out the previous threads. Lots of stuff on FAD and gun requirements. I don't think 8.5 cfm is enough for spraying. My Devilbiss needs 10cfm (specs): your Star probably needs much the same. Bigger is better and belt drive is the way to go.

I have done a lot of reading, and searching, on these forums, regarding FAD etc.

Soundman, I will see what the next size up will cost. The good thing about this model McMillan, is it can deliver 8.4 cfm, which equates to approx 235 litres per min. Gun is rated at approx 190 litres per minute.

Thanks for all comments, greatlt appreciated.

Also,
    I will wait until the Melbourne Woodworking show next week.
    You never know, I get a bargain there (or might not).

Regarding the Hare & Forbes, or tradetools direct, or Glenfords, I don't know the brands they have there.

Anybody got their compressors from these guys like to comment?

The price I got was from a local supplier, which might be better if I ever need warranty.

Thanks again.

Hey Soundman,
    I checked out Trade Tools direct.
    It seems they build the Renegade series themselves.

CHeck out this one,
    http://www.tradetools.com.au/ProdVie...&Product=HD310

AND, I can get it shipped to Victoria. for $30. Not much more than I was quoted on the McMillan.

Have since checked. The McMillan I was looking at, has an Italian pump, 2 cylinder, aluminium head. There is a cheaper version, with the the cast V head.

There is also an McMillan AF16, which has 12.3 cfm FAD, which is more than even the renegade above. I might see if I can get a "match the deal" price.

I can't speak to brands where you're at, but a couple of things to consider. You can get some oilless units that put out good pressure, but are very noisey. Oil type compressors, you can get single stage or two stage. Along with that, you can get aluminum compressors with cast iron sleeves or with a cast iron compressor. You also have the duty cycle of the compressor (how much of each hour can it be running without burning up).

I like a cast iron pump as I think it's more durable and quieter. Two stage is nice but it costs much more than a single stage compressor. Use the duty cycle and cfm output to match against your tools and needs and I'm sure you'll find the right compressor.

Paul

JohnnyR Guest

I'm with hcbph, cast iron/belt drive/oil type rule. I use a Husky twin cylinder single stage pump with a 15/7.5 amp motor that I run on 240v so I figure it is about 1.5 hp. realistically. The tank is not large (26gal.) but the compressor is rated for 100% duty cycle so I beat on it with all variety of air tools and no ill effects after 3+ years.

The oil-free pumps have a life of about 500 hours which is when you do your first oil change on an oil lubed pump. You do the math. My .02Cdn.

Went to a "United Tools" shop today.

There I was shown a "Puma" brand compressor.

Made in Dandenong, Victoria. Had the same Italian 2 cylinder pump, which is aluminium, with a cast iron sleeve, and same motor, as the McMillan.

Sames specs.
    either 12 cfm (8.4 CFM FAD) or 17 cfm (12.3 cfm FAD).

So now trying to stretch the budget the extra $150 to get the 17 cfm unit.
    I guess, basically, all the compressors, have basically the same pumps and motors, are basically the same.

One last question, I have seen similar raings to the 17 cfm, but the units have 3 cylinders. Is there any benefit/reason, why some units have 3 cylinders versus 2 cylinder units with the same rating?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    although no-one thought to check/top-up the oil level for almost 3 years (sacked the bloke who had that chore and... well... ) it has never needed repairs.

'Tis still going strong, I will buy another if this one doesn't outlast me.
    G'day Skew,

Remember one time I saw that compressor in action, that bloke you said you sacked wondered why the nails weren't coming forth. :confused:

Same sacked bloke forgot to plug it in.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Remember one time I saw that compressor in action, that bloke you said you sacked wondered why the nails weren't coming forth. :confused:

Same sacked bloke forgot to plug it in.
    You misunderstand... The bloke who had the chore did look after it, he was sacked for other reasons. 'Twas after he was sacked that the poor machine was ignored. Until it attracted the attention of the wankier-in-charge by making funny tappity-tap noises.

Plugging it in? It was plugged in. Flicking the switch? Now that's a different story.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc