Thread: Green Ants

Default Green Ants

Help. I have afew green ant mounds I want to get rid of due to my little 15 month old. How do I get rid of the ants?

I use a fairly strong insecticide such as used to controal lawn grubs or ants
    and pour it down the hole, you will probably need about 300mls per hole.

You will most likley not get them all in one go so keep a look out for any new nests.

Just keep the youngster out of the area for a few days or cover the site.

David

Sorry, I should say mix with water to the ratio on the pack first and use about 300mls of this.

Green Ants, mounds, holes, I'm confused. :confused:

Green Ants up here live in the trees, they make a colony out of leaves all stitched together, they HATE going on the ground & will avoid it even if the have to walk 3 miles out of their way.

You blokes must be talking about different Green Ants.... you sure they are green?
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

You could try ant rid as one option. I use coopex in its powder form and sprinkle it onto the nest. In theory the ants should spread it through the colony killing them off. I haven't had to many problems this way as coopex is a pyrethroid based insectiside. Its safe enough to spray inside as well. A mate of mine sprays it through his aviaries to kill of red mites.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    You blokes must be talking about different Green Ants.... you sure they are green?
    The green ants we get down here are a real ba$tard like a bull ant and they hurt . They have a dark green rear end nothing like the colour of green tree ants up your way.

Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    ...green tree ants up your way.....
    Umm, would they be Qld Green Plain Tree Ants or Qld Plain Tree Green Ants or Qld Plain Green Tree Ants? :confused:
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Umm, would they be Qld Green Plain Tree Ants or Qld Plain Tree Green Ants or Qld Plain Green Tree Ants? :confused:
    But I thought you got them in all sorts of trees not just the plain ones:confused:
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Cross threaded joke.
    Cliff.

I get green ant colonies here. They get stuck in the dogs pads and bite like crazy. I got bitten and my joint nearest the bite site started to seize up. Poison must be potent.

They are excellent for attacking termites tho.

I use 'Ant Sand', bought from the supermarket and sprinkle it lightly around their holes. Holes are not mounded here and really hard to spot. Don't put too much sand down at once, or the ants will just move. Reapply every day or two until the ants are gone.

I have not had any trouble with the ant sand attracting the dogs so no poisoning issues with them.