Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Nah Nah to you too mate.[/quote]

LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    Dear Felixe,

I think you have missed the point. Just because the agline is encased in gravel doesn't mean that it can not get clogged.
    I appreciate the fact that it can get clogged, but I am yet to find a better solution, and agline is better than just sitting on my hands.

Tell me what sort of outlet are we talling about. if its your standard curb outlet then your 600 x 800mm gravel filled trench ends there leaving the pipes end exposed and surrounded by concrete. At this point the water that has so far travelled through the gravel not the pipe is forced back into the pipe where it discarched into the gutter where you can sit and watch and marvel at your own brilliance. For all you know the sock around your agdrain is already clogged.:eek:
    It is a curb outlet but the gravel filled trench ends about 50 metres back, it is then unslotted ag pipe to the kerb.
    Maybe you are right, but i do know that the ag pipe is not blocked because recently energex dug it up looking for a gas leak on my property and it looked as good as new

We are talking sub-surface not surface runoff and there are many ways of acheiving effective subsoil drainage but if you are using agpipe for this purpose you have to use gravel. Once more for the hard of hearing the water travels along the gravel not the pipe. Go do an experiment go pour a bucket of water down a length of agpipe and see how much comes out the end.
    Thanks for clarifying that point, however the original discussion I contributed in was regarding surface runoff. I still disagree, I originally did your experiment when I laid the pipe to ensure that it did flow correctly and it did.
    As far as the DIY thing goes that may be true in many arenas but there are also many when the DIYer can benefit from the knowledge gained by others who have experience in their particular field.

Nah Nah to you too mate.
    But thanks for the input, I think we all need a hug.
    Last edited by felixe; 25th September 2006 at 11:27 AM. Reason: I meant clogged not drained

I suck at quotes!

I'm not aggro, so can I stay?
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Yup

Bleedin, I do appreciate the input of you and others, but all I got from the preceding posts was that you were trying to tell me that ag pipe doesn't work, but I say it does and I have the drainage working.
    Maybe I took it too personally - sorry for that.
    I am reading the posts hoping to find a way to improve mine further but so far no posts on that, just posts saying what not to do!

Kiss Kiss alls forgiven LOL

Sure beats the usual #### fight about sharpening, or which is better darkside or lightside. At least this has nothing whatsoever to contribute to the well being of mankind.
    Boring signature time again!

Can I add my pennysworth.
    I had a drainage problem in my yard. Original slotted rain laid in ground was clogged. I dug it all up (20mtrs or so) and dug a nice trench, filled it with gravel and laid new slotted pipe(no socks or panyhose were used) in it.
    Lasted a couple of years before it got clogged up with plant roots. The very fine plant roots from various species got into the slots and clogged it up internally.
    I ended up removing the agi pipe and gravel(no easy task digging up gravel) and after carefully taking note of the low spots installed drainage grates connected with 90mm flexible UNSLOTTED drains.
    This works really well. Heavy rains is collected by the grates and flushes down the pipes very fast. I would never use slotted aggy pipe to drain a yard. It WILL clog up with either dirt or roots.

Sorry Pedro, I've been told it won't, so we're both wrong. Just accept it, puts some panty hose on something, and enjoy.
    Boring signature time again!

outback, I am assuming you mean it wont clog up?. Well, I can assure you it most defintely will(from bitter experience).
    The original aggy pipe installed before I bought the place was clogged. I tried to flush it by putting a hose down it and got no further than about 2mtrs out of 20. Pulled it up and it was clogged solid with dirt and roots. This had been placed in with no aggregate at all just straight in the ground.
    After doing some research I thought a bed of gravel and gravel around the new pipe was the way to go but that also ended up the same way after 2-3 years. Blocked solid with dirt and roots.
    After putting in some grates in strategic places and unslotted drains there have been no further problems for quite a few years. Enough water goes through to flush out any dirt that gets in and no roots can get in so no clogging.

Hi Pedro,
    Interesting comments. It is suprising to see people still bury ag pipe directly in the soil and then are suprised it does not work effectively.
    Here is why mine does not clog up.
    All my drains are laid in 10mm drainage gravel, with minimal topsoil cover (the gravel doubles for use as a series of paths) with the entire drainage system gently sloping to the front of the yard. I also have drainage grates installed to remove the runoff deposited by the down pipes, like most old Qlders the down pipes used to empty directly onto the ground (the stump footings:eek I also installed an extra catchment grate where I found one particular problem area where runoff still came in under my house. Where the gravel trenches and drainage system end, I used unslotted pipe to the end of my property and capped it with pest grates.
    The combination of both systems keeps my slotted ag pipe free of dirt and from clogging up. I do find the use of "pantyhose" has improved the effectiveness of my drainage system, along with pest grates it keeps any unwanted foreign material from clogging up my system. This has been in place for 4 years now and no problems.
    I did get advice from others with more experience than me, before installing, and found in the area where I live, close to creeks, on clay soil this has been effective.
    I cannot pass judgement on how effective your application of ag pipe was, the other feedback on this post tells me it may not be suitable for all areas. I am glad to hear you got it sorted.
    I still maintain that slotted ag pipe with geo sock can be effective.