Default Help with down light Transformer

I have bought these transformers to replace 2 old damaged ones

I have your standard 3 core wire and i know that the earth wire bypasses the transformer without being cut, and on the transformer in the picture below has marked the top terminal as 230-240V and the bottom terminal as 50Hz

Now my simple problem is which one is for Active and which one for Neutral :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

as as for the terminals for the down light does it matter which one is which cause it as marked only 11.6V for both terminals.

All comments will be considered.

I recon that if you are going to do wiring you should take the time to learn what you are doing. You can see almost anything that can hurt you, but the nature of electricity is that you can't see it and by the time you find out that a wire is live, you've already got shocked. A lot of home handymen have gotten shocked from wiring and not died or seriously hurt themselves, but you should be aware that there is a real danger and even qualified electricians have been known to die from electricution. Always check & check again. Turn off the power at the main switchboard before doing anything, test the lights to make sure they are off, then test the wire by flicking it with the back of your hand (so you can't grab it by reflex). Sparkies always carry a test pen in their pocket so they can check wires before they touch them - not a bad idea, could save a life.

Back to your question, it won't make any difference which terminal you connect to positive and which is neutral. The same with the low voltage output - it's not polar.

Another thing - how come the old transformers are damaged? Are the overloaded or is there an existing wiring fault which needs to be corrected?

I'm very aware that dealing with electricty is very very dangerous and things can go wrong. But when Ido anything to do with electricty in my house I always switch the mains off and check the wires with a tester to make sure the wires are still not live. I use all the approprate tools for the job and NEVER take any short cuts.

The reason why I ask the question is because the amount of times I've called a sparky and to have them time and time again not show up.

So thats why I research anything before undertaking any job thats a risk to myself.

As for the reason to change the transformers, well one was broken by a pest inspector in the roof and the other one was found to have water on it by a leaking roof which was fixed but i still want to change it to be 100% sure it won't cause any problem for me in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by oricenap View Post
    I use all the approprate tools for the job and NEVER take short cuts.

before undertaking any job thats a risk to myself.
    Unless you're a sparky, you've taken a 4 year shortcut. You aren't only placing yourself at risk, but potentially your family, and future owners/tenants of the property. You know it's illegal to do your own, we know its illegal, you'll find most people here won't give amateurs advice about doing illegal work. Keep searching for a reliable sparky and keep them!

Cheers
    Michael

what do u think about downlights in general...I had them in my old place and something always went wrong with them and i found them a pain to replace.

Downlights are pretty good for visual appeal, but they can be a pain in the #### to fix or repair like the problem im having.

But if you buy cheap and nasty ones you only get what you pay for, so its always best to pay a little more and hope it last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by b1ueshift View Post
    Sparkies always carry a test pen in their pocket so they can check wires before they touch them - not a bad idea, could save a life.
    "Test pen" called a volt stick, commonly known by sparkies as a death stick - should not be relied on...

Its a transformer. Coverts 240 volts to 11 volts (or so). There is no active or neutral markings cos it doesnt matter which way round the 240 is connected.
    Same for the 11 volt side. No active or neutral.
    Just make sure the the 240 volt is connected to the 240 volt side. ( a sparkie will do this for you, right!)
    Never been fan of down lights. Usually need extra bits like transformer(generate heat and fail). Just more things to go wrong and also may be a fire risk if the transformer gets too hot without proper ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by aidos View Post
    "Test pen" called a volt stick, commonly known by sparkies as a death stick - should not be relied on...
    Fair comment. When I was working in factory maintenance years ago, all the sparkies used them. I've heard there are better devices on the market now and workplace safety is getting better all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by aidos View Post
    Agreed, I have a volt stick. Dont use it very often. They are good for a quick indication to see if something that should have power to it actually does, or to find a break in a lead/cable etc. But i wouldnt rely on it to tell me that something is safe to work on.

By the sound of all whats has been said, i think it's best for me to hunt around for a sparky that will turn up and do the job for me.

By the way whats a average cost to replace two transformers in Queensland.

and does anyone recommend a GOOD Sparky to do the job.