Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Unhappy Gas Hot Water System (Continuous Flow)

Hey all
    My gas hws is busted. This morning when I woke up, water is leaking out of the unit. I turned off the water and the gas. It is an old pyrox external unit. What is the best option for me?

1) Get that unit replaced? I looked at some Bosch ones online..they seemed ok. For a very basic unit, how much would I be looking at for the unit and installation/changeover?

2) Repair? What would ya recommmend

3) Please recommend me someone in WA whom you have had experienced with.

Thanks all!

I cant really answer any of those questions. but mine blew up or rather S#@t itself about 4 years ago and I replaced it with a Rinnai system that is the bees knees. You have a touch pad in the house and you punch in what tempreture you want and Bobs your uncle.
    You want a shower and you type in 44 Deg, wash the dishes 55 deg, Kids bath 38 deg. Just turn on the hot water tap - you dont have to use the cold water tap at all - unless your after cold water of course.
    I think it cost me $800 to buy (mates rates) and $400 to install but I can be sure.
    The only thing that could improve the setup is having another touch pad in the bathroom and having one of those water retention systems that was on the new inventors that redirects cold water to a holding tank untill the water gets warm- this held water then gets redirected to the cold tap when needed.
    Good luck with it
    Tony

Lightbulb

That sounds like an awesome system. mmm, friggin HWS...grrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    I cant really answer any of those questions. but mine blew up or rather S#@t itself about 4 years ago and I replaced it with a Rinnai system that is the bees knees. You have a touch pad in the house and you punch in what tempreture you want and Bobs your uncle.
    You want a shower and you type in 44 Deg, wash the dishes 55 deg, Kids bath 38 deg. Just turn on the hot water tap - you dont have to use the cold water tap at all - unless your after cold water of course.
    I think it cost me $800 to buy (mates rates) and $400 to install but I can be sure.
    The only thing that could improve the setup is having another touch pad in the bathroom and having one of those water retention systems that was on the new inventors that redirects cold water to a holding tank untill the water gets warm- this held water then gets redirected to the cold tap when needed.
    Good luck with it
    Tony

I put a Vulcan Instant system into a new unit I had built this year. Absolute POS. It takes for ever to get hot water through. And don't turn 2 taps on at once or it ##### itself. Never again. I'll stick with a good storage system as long as it has a SS tank.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

solar HWS with either gas or elec back up is the go I reckon
    I'm with Gumby on this we have a Pyrox instant ....don't turn on 2 taps.:mad:
    We reckon the solar is the best now and wont go back to gas (we only have bottles gas) except for the stove.
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Hi Gumby,
    Yeh the time delay from when you turn the tap on until you get full temp is a pain. Just timed ours at 26.8 seconds. I forgot to measure the quantity of cold water that is wasted. the kitchen tap has a state of the art water saver do da that really works - full pressure water but takes forever to fill a bucket! anyhow I'd guess 2.5 lts. but you get used to it.
    We don't have any problem with more than one tap going but we have very high mains pressure - hammer is our problem.
    Personally I dont like the thought of water sitting around brewing in a tank if I'm going to use it cooking or making a cupa so I'll stand by the Rinnai Infinity
    Meantime Enfz I hope youve got mates/family close by because cold showers are the pitts this time of year.

I think part of my problem in the new unit was the restrictions they have on pressure these days. There's been a lot of talk about SE Water cutting pressure to certain areas and I think new properties have to put in specific reducing valves. When the unit was first built, the pressure wasn't enough to start the hot water system going. The plumber had tp get different reducing valves because he hadn't allowed for the instantaneous sytem when he installed the original ones. It just seemed like a whole lot of extra stuff to go wrong in the end and i was sorry I decided on the instant sytem.

Good pressure would make a huge difference, as long as they don't cut it back like they are doing elsewhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

I think Fxst suggestion of solar is the way to go from an environmental and economical point. Energy costs are going to keep rising Natural gas to a lesser extent that electricity you cant tax the sun...I think.
    Couldn't do it at our place...too many trees/shade.

Those reheating units (esp Dux) cost more than the HWS itself,sister in law had same troubles because HWs is on other side of house hot water took forever to arrive in her kitchen sink.I gave her duxs' number to ring, rang me back next day she nearly dropped dead at the price -$1000-1200 fitted. :mad:

The reason we went solar (besides the eco reasons) was pressure as per Gumby's post.
    If 1 of us is in the shower dont turn on the cold tap or they fry.... hot tap....no problemo. The new place will also have solar heating because its on what is called here rural flow thats about 15l per minute
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Can't remember the name but we have a SS unit that stores the water at about 70 degrees and mixes with cold upon delivery to a pre set temp to the hot tap, they claim this is more efficient than a large storage tank at 55 or whatever the temperature is.
    Cost about $900 and is made here, don't know how much in WA, come in gas or electric with dual elements.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

The instantaneous systems are very efficient energy wise (gas) but use (waste) a fair bit more water. The sensor requires a minimum of 6l to pass before attributing a temperature (in other words, before they start heating). Do you want to save energy or water? If both, cough up for a solar with gas storage back-up. It'll hit the wallet hard though. I've had quite a few customers having problems with Bosch units and water-saver showers, but I believe the newer units are okay. Rheem & Rinnai are the most popular for those not fixated on initial cost. If you have two bathrooms go for a 26l unit.

Two points: -wouldn't this have been a better post on the plumbing forum?
    -Bleedin Thumb, if you paid $800 for a 26l and controllers it was better than mates rates, it was below cost! Be careful, these things are very popular targets for theft (unless you don't mind this:eek: ).

Cheers,

Mark

Edit: I see it HAS been moved!
    Last edited by silkwood; 8th September 2006 at 09:33 AM. Reason: post moved
    silkwood