Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: seal slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy
    All these animal rights loonies would include battery chickens, vivisection, medical research etc etc.
    The seal slaughter was wrong they were a protected animal and those who did that should be dealt with to the full extent of the law :mad:
    I remember some years back seeing footage of Japennese fishermen in the Inland sea of japan herding dolphins to together and clubbing them to death because they were taking fish. I would hope that Australians never stoop to Japeneese fishing principals.

However we need to be carefull what we legislate , give some people their head and it would be against the law to continue with the rabbit reduction policies, culling roo's, emu's, feral cats and dogs etc
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

I reckon they should be charged for premeditated murder because thats what they have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72
    I reckon they should be charged for premeditated murder because thats what they have done.
    So the next time you step on an ant, set a trap for a mouse or rat, catch and kill a fish or whatever, you want the police to charge you with premeditated murder? Or maybe as an accomplice after the fact whenever you eat a steak?

I agree that what they did was a ba$tard act and they really do deserve to have their karma severely afflicted with something, but what they did was not and will not be seen as cruelty by any court anywhere in Australia. They killed the seals quickly without inflicting any undue pain or suffering (that I am aware of). Having said that, the only way the spirits of these seals would get any rest or real justice would be for la Huerta to take care of the matter himself.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willson
    I agree that what they did was a ba$tard act and they really do deserve to have their karma severely afflicted with something, but what they did was not and will not be seen as cruelty by any court anywhere in Australia.
    Perhaps it may not have been cruelty as the animals didn't suffer a prolonged or painful death (but who really knows unless you were there?) but who gave them the power to take pot shots at a protected animal? It should be seen as a some fools having their interpretation of fun, as their actions would have no effect on any impact on the fishing industry.

The killing of animals is a part of life and as long as it is done humanely then that is ok ..... I wouldn't put shooting seals for the sake of it a necessity, it is basically like duck shooting, one fool with a big gun trying to kill something that doesn't have a chance and hasn't done anything wrong.

If they wanted to play with their big guns then they should shoot at targets or each other ...... but if the police have confiscated their guns then perhaps they shouldn't be shooting at all.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stinkalot
    basically like duck shooting, one fool with a big gun trying to kill something that doesn't have a chance and hasn't done anything wrong.
    Don't agree with that sentiment, what is the diffence between a duck meeting a sudden death as the result of a bullet wound as opposed to an electrocuted chook on a production line for your enjoyment, via a chain, suspended by the feet (or whatever you choose to call them) and dipped in boiling water even though the shock may not have worked.
    I think I would rather be an unsuspecting duck rather than a production line chook, but of course this is never portrayed to the chook eating public.
    Don't you just love the signage outside the take away chook outlets, a happy flag waving rooster encorouging you to come in and sample some chicken delights, a bit like an ad for a smiling mass murderer to attend his hanging.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Its not that long ago it was ok to go shooting wild animals, I used to love going shooting, still would if the gun laws werent as harsh.

Never shot a seal, but if given the chance and it wasnt going to make front page news, I prolly would.
    I shot plenty of roos, rabbits, foxes, wild dogs, wild cats though in years gone by.

Al

Al

I'm with you on the cats and wild dogs, but when I was a kid I went with some country bumpkins and blew away too many kangaroos. At the time they weren't in plague proportions.

I still feel bad about it.

It has seriously dented my Karma.

I can think of a few people I would happily blow away, with no remorse, but slaughtering animals - if its not for food, or to preserve one's environment - is not condusive to moving upwards on the wheel of life.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

G'day,

Made me real angry to see what they did, the should be locked up and the key thrown away. :mad:

Seals taking the fish isn't a reason, it's the fishermen that take the fish from the seals.

By all means shoot feral animals of any kind (I'd shoot the mynah birds in my backyard except I'd be in trouble from Mr. Fuzz), but anything else I can't justify. My FIL justifys shooting roos because they eat the grass meant for his cows, I argue his cows are taking the grass form the roos - boy do we have some debates over it.
    Last edited by Waldo; 3rd September 2006 at 01:07 AM. Reason: sorry shouldn't say rude words no matter what I think about something :)
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Don't agree with that sentiment, what is the diffence between a duck meeting a sudden death as the result of a bullet wound as opposed to an electrocuted chook on a production line for your enjoyment, via a chain, suspended by the feet (or whatever you choose to call them) and dipped in boiling water even though the shock may not have worked.
    The reference to the duck shooting wasn't about the level of cruelty but more so the unnecessary way that some people have to justify their existence by blasting away an animal which hasn't got a chance just to try and reassure them that they are on the top of the food chain.

If this is to be classified as a sport then surely there is modern technology available that would allow them to shoot at a target that is flying through the air and it doesn't have to be a living creature.

I don't feel comfortable with the cook example, nor the live export of sheep, or the transport of animals in trucks that fall over and get their legs stuck under the rails (as I saw yesterday) ......
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

The Clay Pigeon Preservation Society, poor innocent things, get slung out of a machine and blasted to pieces, Skeets are a bit more cunning..................
    I fly fish and catch and release most fish, keep the odd one but hate watching people catch and keep buckets of fish for the sake of doing so.
    What I was trying to point out was the blatant hypocrisy associated with a lot of shooting, culling etc while the same hypocrites go home and eat a steak, logging protesters who attend rallies to protect the environment and drive smoky old VW Kombi's, the list goes on.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

suddenly i'm feeling a little off....

bloody humans....got to kill everything, one day there will be nothing left...

cows and choocs are a way of life, a major food source and theres not much we can do about it,hey i like steak too...but killing of an animal for fun or greed or just because thay can, is what get's me angry, like the Japanese whalers, or every time i go onto ebay there is a little add in the top right of the screen saying about the dogs that get drained for there bile...
    Hurry, slowly

Quote Originally Posted by la Huerta
    suddenly i'm feeling a little off....

bloody humans....got to kill everything, one day there will be nothing left...
    Nah, that won't happen. Its the humans that will become extinct. The planet will fight back. Couple of opening salvo's in AIDS, then Bird Flu. Maybe the current climate change is the beginning.

Nature will out.

Go Gaia!
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams