Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite

Any kitchen you install should have carcasses made of Australian Made High Moisture Resistant Board coated on both sides with white melamine.

It is not neccesary and there are no advantages to building a carcase set out of MRMDF unless you happen to have a lot of lying around.

Respect, all.
    Hi Sybarite

Just re-reading your post from a week ago and I am a little confused. Please all, no comments that I am always confused.

Aybarite, are you saying that it's a waste of money to use MRMDF in the kitchen, or is it different from High Moisture Resistant Board?

Bet there is a simple explanation that I have missed.

Cheers

Graeme

Default HMR vs MRMDF

Hi Graeme,

There is a difference between the two sorts of board.

HMR board, otherwise known as High Moisture Resistant is generally a "particleboard" sheet which has been fabricated using a moisture repellent adhesive/sealant - this gives the board a greenish tinge.

MRMDF is Moisture Resistant Medium Density Fibreboard; which is MDF that also uses a moisture repellent bonding agent.

Both boards are suitable for cabinetry in a kitchen area, but my point was that HMR board is adequate for carcasses whereas MRMDF is tending towards overkill.
    There is no real need for using MRMDF as all the cuts are square and there is no edge profiling going on; and as Renomart said, it is seriously heavy.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Respect, all.
    Kitchen Design Consultant

Custom and Flatpack Kitchens

Default On the go...

G'day all.
    This is how I'm going about the kitchen.
    • 85x19 t&g oak flooring first - then sanded and semi-finished.
    • kit cabinets from Laminex (Redikits)
    • picked up all my whitegoods today (saved 2k buying all atsame place and paying cash - mixture of smeg, panasonic, Fisher Paykel and omega (smeg) brands.
    • Will order carcases to suit whitegood dimensions (wife wanted i this way - woman can't think spacially)
    • Make and hang the doors and end panels my self ( 2 hinges at top and 1 at bottom)
    • decoarative glass splashbacks
    • Laminex rolled formed benchtops. (We don't like granite).
    Should come in under 8.5 grand (not counting the floor).

I really don't think its worth the effort for the small saving making the cabinets myself. The Redkits come with Hettich fittings and are very well made.

Cheers all and thanks for all the advice.
    Mike
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Just another 2cents worth - State library tas has some brilliant books on design and construction for kitchen stuff, but as pointed out, its not that complex. I got about half my drawer runners from Parbury (Blum) in glenorchy (wayyy cheaper than mitre10/bunnings) the other half I got from Rockler online (Accuride) and although they cost about the same in the end, the rockler ones are all on steel ball bearings (not cheap nylon wheels) and they are sweet! Also a much greater range of fitting types/ uses available - in the same order I got a couple of sets of pull out pantry slides, cost about A$100 each, rated at about 120kg, made 2 full height full extension pull out pantrys, they look great, and they didnt cost $600-800 each. Food for thought.

DUH! Sorry Mike, I only saw the first page of replies - just noticed the next 2 pages and read - sounds like youve got it sorted, so my 2 cents worth was a bit unnecessary! Good luck!