Thread: I'll be buggered. . .
-
3rd August 2006, 11:37 PM #16
I use trend Pc cillan, I used to have norton but found it to be impossible to remove once it was installed, and the number of updates required used to slow my dialup to a halt. Also used McAfee, it was terrible, it buggered the registry which I had to manually correct myself, this was the direction given by McAfee technical support as there was no other way, this is a common problem with their version I had 3 years ago, I can only hope it has improved.
Trend Pc Cillan has not let me down yet, I also use spybot and adaware as well as firewalls.
-
4th August 2006, 08:12 PM #17Registered
Originally Posted by graemet
-
5th August 2006, 11:08 AM #18Originally Posted by felixe
Richard
-
25th August 2006, 05:59 PM #19
Hi, Ive been on the net a WHOLE 3 months, started my computer with a clean install (Win98SE) and did all the microsoft updates before they stopped support for 98. Had on Norton Antivirus, Adaware, Spybot killer, and Zone Alarm, all updated. I finished the norton/adaware/spybot and zone updates, as well as the scans, rebooted, and something wasnt right. Downloaded AVG Antivirus (free) just after rebooting, installed, scanned and picked up a heap of stuff that the others (including norton) didnt. I have now found out that a mate of mine who builds/ fixes computers for a living who always swore by Norton now wont use or recommend anything other than AVG. It has my vote.
-
25th August 2006, 08:35 PM #20Originally Posted by tameriska
Originally Posted by confusciousDont waste your breath trying to explain the rules of chess to a pawn
-
25th August 2006, 09:28 PM #21Member
hate payin for anti virus stuff
Sh.ts me payin for the stuff that these wan..rs create just so they can charge you to fix it (nortons etc). I use zone alarm pro and have had no problems whatso ever, and , jeez I download huge amounts of stuff. If you want to get software cheaper, go to Bali or somewhere like that, but beware, you need to know what you are looking at!
-
26th August 2006, 09:20 AM #22Originally Posted by tameriska
Ask 10 computer nerds the same question and you'll get 11 different answers.
99.9% of the problems attributed to viruses and the likes on computers are simply superstition and paranoia. Since the dawn of time human nature has blamed the unknown on something evil or something super natural. I've been on the net for decades and have gone to hundreds of dodgy sites so I've picked up a few viruses and such over that time, even so they're still fairly rare. If I were an average user over the same time frame and avoided the p2p programs, the crack sites... I probably wouldn't even be able to count the number of infections on the average cabinetmakers one hand (ever notice that a lot of cabinetmakers are missing digits).
-
27th August 2006, 02:25 PM #23Originally Posted by sawdustmike
You still need a good virus detector and also run a program such as HiJackThis every so often.Bob Willson
The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.
-
28th August 2006, 01:34 PM #24Originally Posted by Toolin Around
-
28th August 2006, 06:08 PM #25Originally Posted by havenoideaatall
You must live a very boring life
-
28th August 2006, 06:17 PM #26Originally Posted by Toolin AroundRetired member
-
28th August 2006, 06:29 PM #27Registered
Just go to www.altavist.com
And type in .
Not that I would do such a thing of course. :eek: