Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Actually, it's an adjective in most senses. It's the noun form of the word that some find offensive.
    Indeed - oops. Bit tired(!) A blackboard is a noun, formed by an (descriptive - what else) adjective and noun together.

Educational institutions seem to have more than their fair share of sensitive little souls that insist on changing innocuous words because they may not be politically correct.

In statistics, there is a test called the Student's T test. Everyone who has anything to do with statistics knows it as the Student's T test. The bloke who invented it published under the name 'Student' because his employer, Guiness' Brewery, wouldn't let him publish under his own name. However, someone in NSW TAFE decided that students were to be known henceforth as learners, so some benighted pantywaist went through all the correspondence course notes and changed Student's T to learner's T. Half the people there I told about it couldn't care, and the other half had long ago given up beating their heads against brick walls because all the fun had gone out of it.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Hadn't heard that one Alex. I use the T test all the time. I'll have to start referring to it as Learner's T and see what the client says
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Default Tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent C
    It's a minefield trying to look after other people's sensibilities

Andrew,

I was just wondering how you got on with the school, this topic has been talked about with some family and friends since and we wonder if you got any satisfaction from the school and if your son had any issues from teacher/s because of it??
    I'd really like to know what they are calling whitebaords these days if blackboards can be misconstrued as rascist :confused:
    Cheerio.
    Shannon

Fat people are hard to kidnap

Freecycle.org check it out - recycle it
    instead of landfilling it

so now i have to change my name to phil averydarkcolour instead of phil black:eek:
    First On Race Day

And the first brock trophy goes to...............
    and we got no "2" as well
    A FORD driver.

ironic isnt it?

and if ya cant win on ya own merit punt em off!!!
    holden cheater team!!!!!

My oldest has just started at Kindergarten and they have chalkboards and smartboards. I am not racist in the least but we bend over backward to accept all different creeds and religions but what about our own heritage? No more santa, no more easter, no more etc etc etc, what about us?

For the record I have some wonderful friends from a diverse range of backgrounds both religious and political. I like everyone and I believe a stranger is a friend you haven't met yet.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by havenoideaatall
    .....What about C**n cheese. You could argue that c**n is only racist in an American context so it's OK in a Australian one.
    Actually, Coon Cheese gets it's name from it's original producer, who's surname was Coon. Fair dinkum. Queenslander I beleive. Didn't stop the breast beaters from trying to change it's name though. They lost that one - as they should - because it was actually a person's name.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

He said breast, dirty little man, Fred NIle will get you for this
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Just look at who gets elected into local government and the type of twit who wants to be a teacher. All are agenda driven, nothing to do with " we love to work with kids" or " we are community minded".
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

I often wonder when my business is going to be given a "commercial advantage" based on my skin color.......thats not racist, they call it affirmative action.
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got