Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Turning a window into a door

Hi all,

I am looking to add an extension to the workshop (formerly called the "garage"), and wanted to extend out the back where there is currently a window. Said window is about 5' off the floor level, and a wooden frame glass louvre thing. There is a metal L-shaped (cross-section) beam across the top of the window supporting the roof.

My original plan was to remove the window, and then cut/remove bricks below to crate a door space (about 7' high by 5' wide). Metal beam should still support the roof, and I'd add two wooden supports down the side to frame it and further support beam (which extends a couple of bricks each way, set into the mortar.

Finally, to my question...how do I safely extend the width of the space?

I assume I'll need to use a longer metal beam (flat or L-shaped) into brickwork beyond the opening. How will I support the opening while I go about insering it? SHould I set it a course above the current one, so there is support while I put it in?

Or should I just get someone qualified to do it in case the whole thing comes down?

Thanks in advance,
    Darren

Umm people have been known to kill themselves with DIY structural modifications. I definatley recomend you get a builder, or a bricklayer to do the structural mods.

When you talk to contractors it's good to sound like you know what you are talking about. L shaped steel is called angle and the support above a window or door is called a lintle.

Why widen the window? 5' sounds like a very wide doorway, making it wider would be a lot of work. Cutting bricks in place is really hard. It would be easier to fill in the opening to a standard door width than to widen it to a double door.

Anyway tell us more about your project and you will get better advice. Is the wall singe brick, double brick or something else? How wide and tall is the existing widow opening?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply...I do agree these things can be dangerous, so that's why I asked, to see if replies said it was possible.

I know a builder locally so will get him to have a look. It's an old 1960's single brick garage, so may not be structurally sound enough to risk doing myself. Sometimes it's just good to get your thoughts confirmed!

I'd like to make the door wider as I am starting to build a boat soon, and need to stick it out that end of the garage to fit properly...yes there is a door at the other end, but the driveway slopes up...I will be able to move the boat out, but when building need a flat surface so I thought if it was possible, I'd knock the wall out around the window and extend the floor.

Thanks,
    Darren

I've known people to put single width doors in single brick walls without a steel lintle - just the timber frame. I'm not sure what the building code requires, but it seems to work ok for openings up to about 3'. For a 5' opening I expect you will need a steel lintle. Brickwork is strong, but only in compression, bricks will pull apart if you knock them with a hammer. You probably already suspect that if you make a 5' opening in brickwork without proping it up, you run the risk of cracking or collapse.

How many courses of bricks would be left above the door? You might be better off taking out all of the bricks above the doorway rather than having a brick and steel lintle above it. Also cutting bricks can be really hard depending on the brick. If you need to cut bricks it might be easier to pull them out, cut them on a wet saw and put the half bricks back.

Default Problem Solved

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. However, problem now solved...boat that was to be built in garage is now being built elsewhere, so no need to widen the opening. Will be still possibly making it into a door, but can make it narrower than current opening so no structural changes.

Thanks anyway!

Darren