Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default where can I get these?

Anyone have any idea where I can get something like this but with a capacity of 1800mm? I'd like to add them onto my panel saw to make it a tad more accurate and because I'm having a lot of trouble reading the cursor/scales . I've tried wearing glasses but I like to wear goggles also and if I don't they soon get covered in a layer of fine dust.
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Elumatic sell one for use with their aluminium saws, very expensive though! About $3000 to $5000 and you can get them out to 4.2m. I'm sure you can retro fit it to a panel saw.

The one you show in the picture looks like a digital vernier measuring unit, perhaps you could get an engineering mob to machine you up an 1800 length of aluminium with a groove in it to lay in some tape for the measuring wheel to grip to. The measuring unit is not limited to any set length, the unit will keep on counting as long as the measuring wheel keeps on turning.

Hope this helps.

Bazmick,
    for that sort of money is it just a digital read out, or is it a stop system? There's a US made system called "Tigerstop" which I've looked at which will move the rip fence and lock it and another one which has a travelling crosscut stop. Around $8K + each. Not really worth it for my output and I could probably pick up a 2nd hand saw with integrated CNC fence and stops for not too much more if I keep looking.

Mark,
    thanks, pretty much what I want, but the price tag is still a little high. Might have to look at getting a cheapie and modifying it.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

Mick,

The Elumatic is a stop system that you crank a handle to move the stop and then lock it off, it has a digital readout accurate to 0.1mm.

If you were going to spend that sort of money on the "tigerstop" system, I have heard of 2nd hand Altendorf CNC fence saws for under $20k. Be hard to find though, they don't sit around on sale like that for long.

BAZMick

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    I've tried wearing glasses but I like to wear goggles also
    Mick, are you aware that there are a few safety goggles on the market designed to go over prescription glasses?
    The particular one I use is the ProChoice 3000, quite cheap from safety equipment suppliers.
    Brian

Brian,
    thanks for that, yes I am aware of them, I have got some "spoggles" (safety goggles for over glasses) and a few other styles. I don't really like wearing glasses, mainly. I only need them to sight the cursor and scales on the saw, they annoy me the rest of the time. I use the saw commercially and the DRO (digital read out) would make it slightly more productive anyway. (At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it )

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938