Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

piste?

(Oh... sorry. Thought we were in the "Not a joke...")
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Yeah, great midge, just what I want to look at, another computer website.
    They all look alike to me. (I'll let you in on a secret, it's just a computer!! )

Anyway, I have tried the "offline" LAN messengers, and they all suck!
    I think I will go with the general consensus and just use messenger.

thanks of the input guys!

P.S. I have another computer question to follow!!!

If you just want to share files on the hope network, you can:
    1. share a partition on one computer so that the other can just write to it
    2. install a ftp server
    3. use scp (via putty)
    4. install a webserver on one computer and just browse and copy across from the other one.

You can run local servers like skype, for instance asterix, or servers like msn, eg jabber.

Skype can be a large waste of bandwidth due to the way it works, other more direct VOIP options like nodephone are much easier on your resources.

shaun

Thanks for the input Sbranden,
    I have:
    1. we do use shared folders under "my network places", I assume this is similar.
    2. and 3. Please re-write these in English!
    4. Sounds too hard for a non-computer dufus like me, but if it isn't can you please post directions on how to install a webserver on one computer etc..... ?

Just remember to read my 1st posts, these should give the clue that you are dealing with someone who can operate a computer but has no idea about networking etc.

Thanks for the tip about skype, I am using MSN messenger, I hope this doesn't chew up my allocated hours, I did look at LAN messenger software but it was all to crappy or hard to configure ( I want to use it; not play around with it all day).

Quote Originally Posted by felixe
    Thanks for the input Sbranden,
    I have:
    1. we do use shared folders under "my network places", I assume this is similar.
    Yep, you should be able to transfer files to the other computer easily providing the network is up.

2. and 3. Please re-write these in English!
    ftp (file transfer protocol) is used to .. well transfer files from one computer to another. You can setup a ftp server then use either a dedicated ftp client like cuteftp (I don't use windows, so don't really know of too many others by name) or you can browse the ftp server with a web browser like firefox or Internet Explorer.

scp is a more secure method of transfering files and there are clients in the package called putty.

4. Sounds too hard for a non-computer dufus like me, but if it isn't can you please post directions on how to install a webserver on one computer etc..... ?

a google search on windows apache tutorial should bring up some useful sites.

Just remember to read my 1st posts, these should give the clue that you are dealing with someone who can operate a computer but has no idea about networking etc.

Networking can be hard to get your head around initially and then just makes sense. It will click soon enough

Thanks for the tip about skype, I am using MSN messenger, I hope this doesn't chew up my allocated hours, I did look at LAN messenger software but it was all to crappy or hard to configure ( I want to use it; not play around with it all day).
    Skype uses the peer to peer method, much like a lot of programs used to download (mainly pirate) mp3's. This makes it easy to set up, but has some negative aspects like you are allowing other people to use your computer behind your firewall, you also accept that your computer can become a skype super node and then use heaps of bandwidth. It has it's place, but there are alternatives. MSN is useful to send files across the internet, but is a waste sending 10 feet away.

I personally use scp, a little ftp, some http (world wide web stuff) and irc (older messaging tool). There are lots of options out there, but just sharing your folders would be the easiest for local transfers. You will need to have a working network, so either a separate switch, a crossover between the two computers or using the switch on your modem/ router but it should be really easy to work out.

cheers

shaun
    pm if you want more help
    Last edited by Wood Butcher; 6th August 2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: removed email link (please pm shaun for email!)