Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post Help with dressing table

Hi all.
    Im new to woodworking so thought id ask you guys before i start destroying an antique dressing table we have just been given.
    As fas as we now its around 60-70 years old, i maybe wrong but it was a long distance relatives who just passed away at 90 and she was given it from her mother so we at least know its a few years old.

Now my wife wants me to fix it as it has a quite a few scratches, so my question is what is the best way to start this project, should i simply attack it with a sander and sand it right back to the bare wood?? or is there a better way to do it.

Also in regards to finishing it my wife wants a walnut type colour so what sort of stains/brands in that colour would be a good start and will i need to then put some sort of clear varnish over the top.
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/finnster/dresser.jpg

Thanks Eastie.
    1 Question though is how do i make all the photos in those articles appear?? i just get a little red cross where they are supposed to be

Ohh - I didn't check before posting - Looks like they've been deleted - and they're locked too ???

Pitty, they were a decent example of what to do.

In fact those posts probably deserve a hall of fame forum

[This message has been edited by Eastie (edited 07 November 2002).]

Sorry guys, I lost them photos when dingoblue closed down....Bit of a shame and a lot of hard work went into putting them all on here..Not to worry, lifes goes on...!

No probs has anyone got any opinions on my original post, would luv some help from someone that has done sumfen like this b4 as im flying blind. And no i have not been living in prison all my life just never done any woodworking ;p

Finnster,

You seem like a definite candidate for U-beauts publication, A Polishers Handbook! What you haven’t heard about it – where you been, in prison or someplace?

First up – don’t sand. Use a stripper. Page 3 in the book!

Second – prepare the surface. Page 7 in the book! For sanding read about abrasives at page 45 in the book!

Third – staining is an art I don’t do very well at and only ever achieved uneven results. At least until I got to page 10 of the book! A full discussion on stains starts at page 53 in the book!

Finally finishing starts at page 15 in the book. You may choose between french polish, spraying lacquers, oil or other finishes. The book cautions about using polyurethane on antiques and fine furniture.

I reckon U-beaut will be along here in a tick and post a nice little ‘click-on’ that will take you straight to the order page. I’d do that but my computer literate son is out tonight and I aint got the nouse to do it myself!

Get the book!

Redneck
    Mal

Ok U-Beaut where is it and how much lol and how much is Rednecks commission.

Sounds like just the book i need though

Red Neck - Strewth, is all that in there? I'd better have a look at it myself.

CLICK HERE then look for it yourself. Happy now Red Neck?

Finnster - I would seriously doubt that it will still be called an antique if it is to be stained walnut when the original was something else. It will just be a piece of old furniture wearing a new coat.

Before you go the whole hog and strip it you might like to try Polish Rerviver on it. Could save you a lot of time, effort and the odd tear or two.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Thumbs up

Neil,

Thanks for the ‘button’.

Finnster,

No commission – just satisfaction if it solves your problem. I guess finishing is one of those areas most of us dislike but once the finer points are explained, finishing becomes less of a chore. I would even go so far as to say I get a bit of a buzz out of it these days.

RN
    Mal

Great thanks for your help guys, ive just put in the order online for the book

Ubeaut how can i find out what the original colour is? is there a way to do it so i can keep it as original as possible???

Also with the Polish reviver will it cover some of the deeper type scratches?? not sure if you had a look at the pic that i posted in the first post here but there is a pretty decent size scratch on the top and there is a few along the sides that the pic doesnt show.

Cheers
    Tony

[This message has been edited by finnster (edited 08 November 2002).]

Hello Finnster,

An easy way to get some idea of what the original colour of the wood is - provided that the sides and top of dressing table are solid and not veneered in any way is to take all the drawers out so you can see inside the carcase.

The inside in most cases will be 'unfinished' or not stained - if you wet a small spot inside with some metho this will show the 'colour' of the unexposed natural wood. - Make sure you open your garage and do it in some good natural light.

I would also suggest you take some of Neils advice and try a few revivers, as they can do wonders for an old finish and may well disguise some/all of the scratches. Much easier to use a reviver and retain the character of the old finish, if you wish to maintain its 'antique value' than to strip/sand it.

Unless the scratches are huge gouges out of the wood then then revivers may do the trick.

'Filling' scratches with wood fillers is a bit of an art form particularly if it is going to look good - and i have seen some bad jobs done in this regard where in many cases it would have looked much better without it.

Another thought my be to get a piece of glass cut for the top if the scratches are still a worry.

regards
    Stephen.

Thanks again all
    Ive just received my Polishers handbook and bottle of Reviver so ill be into it as soon as i get some free time