Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default tank water pressure pump question please

How is ya guys .
    l'll have to run the cabin water pipe up wall and across ceiling then back down to taps inside from the pump and tank outside , or somem like that.
    Would this mean the pressure pump would still turn on alright when the taps are turned on ?
    Thinking , the ceiling is higher than the tank level outside so normally without a pump no water would come out with taps on anyway .
    l hoped the pump primed up , fills up pipe and pressure even if up higher in ceiling , tap goes on releases pressure , pump comes on .
    Would that be right ?

Cheers
    MB

The only effect of the extra pipe, whether it goes up across the ceiling or down under the floor is a bit of friction. It will work fine.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Our pumps are about 3 metres below floor level in the house and we have plumbing in the ceiling. Don't worry, it will work.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

As an extra to the conversation, I noticed that when my tank water level is very low, the pump seems to cut in a lot more. It is finally raining today, so hopefully I will get some water runoff into the tank. I have had it since Dec last year but it only got one third full in Jan, then no more rain.

Luckily, we have tank water switches as a backup but I was starting to wonder if the tank warranty would expire before it ever got full and the pump warranty would expire before it got to be turned on 24/7.

Our pump will happily pump a huge distance up hill of the pump, but the bigger limitation is the inlet height - it can only suck for a couple of metres.
    That's what I remember when we purchased it anyway.

Centrifigul pumps can only draw from a few metres generally. If you need to suck water up you need a diaphragm pump.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Default pump pressure

i take it the pump is at the outlet of the tank . if so it will work fine . if its above the tank water level yuo should have at least a non return inline valve between the tank and the pump and yuo will have to prime it . we used grunfos pumps on several different farm rainwater installations and they worked very well they have variable rate transfers depending on how far the tap is opened BUT ..... YUO GET WHAT YUO PAY FOR

AAHH what a relief .
    Thanks very much for that one to all . l've nearly got this thing finished and never gave the cold water having to go up the wall and across first a second thought until yesterday. l finally got onto starting the piping , hang on a minute could it even work like that . Checked the house setup and that only went up a mtr , ooh !
    The tank is right beside the cabin just outside , same level as floor and the pump sits a mtr away from that , same level and feeds directly of tank 1 mtr . The water has to go from pump - across 1 mtr to wall - up wall 2.5 then in through to ceiling and across 3 or 4 mtrs then down again .
    Doesn't sound like a drama from everything here which is double bloody great news let me say .
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    MB