South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Default How do I fix it?

I have a Europa push bike I bought in the eighties. At the time, she was a pretty good bike ($500 bike from memory) and still has components (such as the wheel hubs) that aren't available today - of course, other bits are, well, twenty years out of date . Nice old girl. Rides well.

But she's over 20 years old.
    And things break

So about three years back, I bought another bike ... and hate the thing. I want my old girl back (ahh, the mistiness of fond memory).

The bit broken is the clamp for the centre derailleur. It's an Ofmega changer and made of a hard plastic (now over 20 years old). If you look at the really bad photo I've attached for your confusion, you'll see that the two plastic bits hinge in the middle. One half has a pin, the other used to have two plastic bearings moulded into the bracket - used to because those bearings are now broken.

I could just toss the changer and buy a new one, however, the bike is an old girl now and when trying to find replacement bits, I've had older bike enthusiasts go a little misty eyed when looking at her. So, rather than automatically toss the broken bit and put something else on, I'd like to at least have a go at fixing the broken bit. Keep her original and all that stuff (like all old bikes, she ain't worth nuffin).

Note, unless you actually have an Ofmega derailleur in your posession that you'd like to donate, replacement parts don't seem to be an option

The clamp is hard plastic and probably brittle with age. The broken bits, which you can just see in the picture, were moulded with the rest of it. It is a pivot but could probably be clamped together while on the bike. But, it needs to be a solid join because there's a bit of pressure on this part when changing gears. The clamp is a snug fit around the downtube so you can't have anything on the inside of the fitting (which rules out a simple, wire binding).

Any thoughts?

Richard

Richard,
    Thats not a real clear picture, can you get it better?
    bit hard to see exactly what needs to be done here.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=7211607301
    But look at the price!!!!
    There are some other for sale on this page as this item has ended.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=7211607301
    But look at the price!!!!
    There are some other for sale on this page as this item has ended.
    Quite a few Ofmega items ... no front derailleurs Perhaps it was a weak spot.

Richard

Same picture Durwood, but with the problem area circled. The bits that look like half circles should be full circles. Basically, they form a tube and the pin on the other half of the clamp pushes through them. Hope this helps.

Richard

Ok, no replacement parts available.

What about a similar vintage part, say Suntour or maybe Campagnolo?

The local bike shop here seems to have a large collection of old bike parts, all of them never used. Not sure if they are really for sale or anything, but I can always ask if you are interested.

These photos might help. They are the best I can do with my primitive digital camera I'm afraid.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo
    Ok, no replacement parts available.

What about a similar vintage part, say Suntour or maybe Campagnolo?

The local bike shop here seems to have a large collection of old bike parts, all of them never used. Not sure if they are really for sale or anything, but I can always ask if you are interested.
    Thanks Schtoo. Ask away please, though I'd prefer Ofmega seeing that's what it came with.

Richard

Do what most Aussie's would do... Wrap some fencing wire around it... she'll be right mate!

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72
    Do what most Aussie's would do... Wrap some fencing wire around it... she'll be right mate!
    Italian fencing wire to keep it authentic
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Richard,
    I think the answer is to fabricate the bracket out of some steel, if you have a welder or can get someone with one. make the bits out of some flat and other sections close to the size of the bits.

Then with a grinder and a file you can shape them to the size you want. If you have a source of heat (oxy or LPG) you can easliy bend or fit the bits.

I've made all sorts of things which were originally cast or forged on old cars this way if you mess up they are easily built up with weld or brass and can be done over and over until you get it right.

It will be far stronger than the original also.

A coat of paint and you won't know the difference.

That's not a bad idea and I've got a mate who works on model aeroplane engines and regularly goes to far more effort for even less result than this, just because he can and likes doing it. In this case, the half that's broken is the half holding all the mechanism and the adjusting screws. It's doable and on something worth a bit of money, I might try it, but in this case, buying something else springs to mind (and putting this bit in a box - I'm not a metal worker meself). Typically, the otherside is just a flamin' strap

At the moment, I'm very tempted to strap it on the bike, in its correct position (can do that but can't put any pressure on it), then fill the voids left by the missing bits with JB Weld. Bit of Glad Wrap under the clamp so I'm not gluing it to the bike, then screw it up tight when the muck's set. I don't know how it'll stick to the old nylon, but it might work. Mind you, fencing wire is looking more attractive too.:eek: (not an utterly silly idea - a couple of neat holes and some tie wire might just do the trick).

Even if I don't find a solution, the search has been worth it. My old bike is a genuine vintage bike now - there's forums and all sorts for them - man there are some nutters in this world, not like woodies at all . The biggest problem is that the spare parts all seem to be Campagnolo, which isn't a bad thing, just not what I've got.

Richard

Daddles, guess what.

The bike shop probably does have one stashed out the back, but they will need to hunt for it. The old fella there got all misty eyed and waffled on about all the old stuff like Campy, Zeus, Silenta, Ofmega, etc, etc.

The bad part?

I don't think you will be able to afford it. Thing is these are all new parts, never used. And I suspect they might have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth stashed away. Whaddya expect from a bikeshop that has "Est. 1923" on their signage, and they have always dealt in good stuff along with grocery getters.

I'll let you know what happens, but if you decide to get misty eyed about your bike, I am pretty sure I can rustle up parts for it.