Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default electrical wiring query

Have had this hosue for about 10 years (hope to actually own it later this year) but have some concerns about the wiring.

Fusebax has 4 circut breakers.

15amp for the reverse cycle air con that we had installed (thats all that is powered off this)

1 8amp (?) circut breaker for all the lights (total of 12 lights, all seperate)
    1 10amp for 4 dbl power points (tv, video, dvd, 3 computers)
    1 10amp for 9 dbl power points (3 bedrooms, bathroom, laundry, kitchen)

Does the above sound like it may be close to maxed out ?

We intend to add an extra room to the front of the house this year, and hopefully a 2 story extention to the back within a the next couple of years.

Would it be worth the $$ / effort to have the whole house rewired (house built in 1963) and have the likes of laundry & kitchen put on seperate circuts and perhaps 2 or more seperate circuts for lights ?

Underhosue access is very good (need a step ladder to reachup to the floor for about 30% of it

Is there a problem with your electricals?

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by boban
    Is there a problem with your electricals?

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
    Well, it is 40+ years old to start with, and we are going to have an electrician in for the new wiring for the new room, and I do have some thoughts that a previous owner added power points, maybe I am just being paranoid....

If you are going to be doing extensions, I presume you will be gtting a sparky to do the wiring? Best talk to him (or her) and they should be able to give you the best advice possible.

For now, go with Bobans comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Butcher
    If you are going to be doing extensions, I presume you will be gtting a sparky to do the wiring? Best talk to him (or her) and they should be able to give you the best advice possible.

For now, go with Bobans comment.
    yep, I will be getting a sparky to do the wiring (will be a small job, couple of power points & 1 light for the front room)

My ten cents worth:

Just get your sparkie to check the condition of the wiring. As long as the insulation is still in good condition you should be OK.

You can work out your loading by doing a few quick sums: Amps = Watts/Volts
    e.g a 1000 watt heater or vacuum cleaner will draw 1000/240 = 4.2 Amps
    Just add up the things you are likely to have plugged (and going) at the same time for each circuit. Watch for things like frying pans, microwaves etc in the kitchen as they can add up quickly.

As far as new circuits go that may depend upon the layout of your house and the plans for the extensions etc. Certainly distributing the load is the aim. If you are intending to have computers, home theatre setup or the like then a 'clean' circuit from the meter board would be a good idea. This will reduce the likelihood of spikes from other electrical equipment such as washing mahines, fridges etc which have motors etc which turn on and off regularly.

If you really want to check things, then get the connections to the switches, wall and light sockets checked to see that they are tight and that the wall sockets themselves clamp on to the pins of a plug firmly. Loose fittings = resistance which causes heat, which can lead to arcing, which can lead to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrian
    Fusebox has 4 circut breakers.

My workshop sub board has more circuit breakers than your whole house. You must be very close to being maxed out.

It is better to have more circuits with their circuit breakers then fewer. eg If your lights are on 2 circuits and one breaker trips during the night then you can use the other lights on the other circuit to see your way around to reset it. Similarly it is best to have laundry ( washing machine and dryer) on a different circuit as the kitchen which is another heavy power use area.

So it may be a good time to get the electrician to do some rewiring as well.

Peter.

I agree with above post. My shed has more than your house too.

From memory... 10 is the max # of GPO's on the one circuit. Your lights are fine, as long as you don't add any heating units such as IXL Tastic etc.

Your sparky will probably want to run a new curcuit or two to the new work. This is a very good idea IMO... for more than one reason. Firstly.. you will get ample power to the new work, and secondly.. the sparky can keep all of his work separate from the old, which is an advantage for the tradesman.
    If you are going to stay in your home, get him to put the new and old in a nice new enclosure with RCD protection etc. Your circuit protection is probably all over the place at its age, and a new lot is fairly cheap these days and very convenient for you in the long run.

Your existing wiring should be fine, as that vintage is plastic insulated, and has another 40 years to go. If you do have any steel conduit electricals in your home, get rid of it asap. The stuff is a real menace.
    NB. Note to Fossil... get rid of steel conduit in my own home asap.

Another thing...... In all my years of building, I only had one electrician on a job who I would consider was a wanker. Most sparkys I have dealt with have been honest and helpful. I would go with the advice of a good sparky over anything.

Hope this helps.

Are you sure they're 10A circuit breakers? Just switching on the kettle and the toaster in the kitchen would be enough to trip the circuit.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil
    Most sparkys I have dealt with have been honest and helpful.
    Don't hear that too often...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil
    If you do have any steel conduit electricals in your home,
    get rid of it asap.
    The stuff is a real menace.
    NB. Note to Fossil... get rid of steel conduit in my own home asap.
    Fos,
    Do you mean the Screwed Conduit?
    OR
    the Old Black Split Rubbish,
    I cannot remember, or know of Screwed Conduit being used Domesticly:confused:

How did you get your 'Name'
    One Ladyfriend used to call me that:eek:
    she was being complimentry and 'insulting' at the same time;
    ask if you dare.
    Navvi