Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question A switch or a router for my computer??

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can give some advice:
    We now have 2 computers (both desktops with network cards) and want to link them both to the cable broadband, only mine is currently linked. They are 6m apart and I don't want a wireless network.
    So, what is the difference between a switch and a router? :confused:
    Do I need a router, this is what is being pushed on me by salesmen, or can I use a switch to share the connection?:confused:
    Here is hoping some IT boffins can help out.

Regards,
    Felixe.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

You don't need either. My computer and my son's are networked via a cable. Broadband plugs into my computer. He reads the interner across the network. No problems. Both computers run XP, but before the lad got his new beast, he had WinMe (twas less hassle to set up believe it or not).

Richard

Absolute novice at this networking stuff, Felixe, but I am under the impression that 2 computers with net. cards can just be linked using a "crossover cable".

Wait for the experts to comment though.

Cheers...............Sean, empty vessels make the most noise

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks daddles and scooter,
    I am new at this networking stuff as well. Daddles, what cable did you use and how did you configure the computers, and can both run the net at the same time with no loss of performance?

You can share the network connection as Daddles says, but the disadvantage is that the host computer (your's) needs to be on so that the other computer can connect to the internet.

I would suggest that you go with a 4 port router. The router does the internet connection, and you, and your son, set up with the router's address as your gateway. This means that the 2 pc's can connect to the internet individually.

Make sure you get a router with an inbuilt firewall, which will enhance the security on the network (hardware firewall is much better than a software one). If you get a router with a printer port, it will allow you to netwok the printer as well,
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

I have bigpond cable and a D-Link Broadband router (Model DI-704P). The cable modem plugs into the router, not your computer as it is now. The router establishes the internet connection and then you can connect any computer individually to it via one of the 4 ports in the back. The router has a firewall and assigns the ip addresses to any computer attached to it. If you use Richards solution you will always have to go through the computer connected to the internet and it must stay on for the second machine to stay connected. It also chews up rescources on the host computer. A broadband router, designed to be compatible with a cable connection is your best choice.

As for cables, if you are connecting both to the router, then normal cables are what you want. You only need a cross over cable if you are connectiong directly to the other computer (which would need 2 network cards in it in that case)
    Edit:
    (Sorry Chris, I was typing away and by the time I sent the reply, you'd covered it nicely. )
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Depends on how yours is already connected.
    If you have an ADSL or Cable modem that is plugged into your PC via a USB port, then you can hook the 2 PCs together with a crossover LAN cable & 'share' the internet on the PC that is connected to the modem.

If your modem connects to you PC via the LAN socket & it only has one LAN outlet, then you will need a switch. (has multiple LAN sockets linked together).
    If your modem has a LAN socket on it, chances are that it is already a Router with a Firewall built in.

What is the brand & model number of the modem you have.

(I know modem is a loose term but I'm using it 'cos I can't see the setup).

Very roughly...
    Modem = Interface between outside world & your equipment.
    Router = 2 LAN interfaces on different IP addresses. (used to keep the internet off your local network but allows your local network to access the internet)
    Switch = multiple LAN interfaces on one IP address range. (Used to connect all your equipment together in a local area network)
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    I have bigpond cable and a D-Link Broadband router (Model DI-704P). The cable modem plugs into the router, not your computer as it is now. The router establishes the internet connection and then you can connect any computer individually to it via one of the 4 ports in the back. The router has a firewall and assigns the ip addresses to any computer attached to it. If you use Richards solution you will always have to go through the computer connected to the internet and it must stay on for the second machine to stay connected. It also chews up rescources on the host computer. A broadband router, designed to be compatible with a cable connection is your best choice.

As for cables, if you are connecting both to the router, then normal cables are what you want. You only need a cross over cable if you are connectiong directly to the other computer (which would need 2 network cards in it in that case)

Edit:
    (Sorry Chris, I was typing away and by the time I sent the reply, you'd covered it nicely. )
    I must be typing faster these days.......normally I'm the one that gets there second.
    Chris

Life isn't always fair

The network card is a mavell yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit ethernet controller and the modem is a motorola surfboard SB5101i which comes standard with optusnet cable modem hookup.
    I am looking to run the computers independently through the cable modem.
    So far the only thing I can conclude is that I need either a router or a switch.
    Is the difference between the two the fact that with a switch both computers run off one IP address, and with a router they have seperate IP addresses and a firewall?
    If so, what difference do multiple IP addresses have over a single one? Is running defender, windows xp firewall and/or trend pc cillan firewall sufficient for my security or should I look at the router with firewall, and if so which router is recommended (thanks for your recommendation gumby!)
    Does a router and/or a switch allow file sharing between computers?
    So many bloody questions, but the guys at the local computer shops (including a dubious Ha#v%y Nor**an shop assistant) don't give out much advice unless it is to push their wares, I am happy to buy the equipment but want to be sure it is what I require.
    Thanks to Cliff, Chris, Skew, gumby, scooter and daddles so far for your input, you are slowly educating me!

Regards,
    Felixe.

I think you'll find that with Optus cable you'll need a router.

Both computers will have different addresses (whether manually spec'd or auto-assigned) so that they can file share. Although Optus can handle both on a switch, I believe it's their policy to not allow it. As far as they're concerned, only 1 'puta should connect a time. Don't quote me on any of this... but a quick glance at their fine print reinforces my belief.

A router works around this: the modem sees just 1 address from the router, and the router does the housework as to which PC asked for what.

Of course, I could be way off base. A few too many Irish whiskies for this time of night. [Urp!]
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

You need a router so that it can connect directly to your internet modem. A switch will allow sharing but one computer will need to be connected to the modem and then cabled separately to either a switch via a standard network cable or to the second computer via a cross-over cable. What you describe you want requires a broadband modem. I'm on Bigpond so i'm not sure if the model I have will connect to optus. I don't buy this sort of stuff from Hardly Normal. I have a great local computer shop and if I have any probs, I can talk to them and they listen. Go to Hardly Normal and you'll just get a repair docket.

So, sus out a shop locally and explain what you want. A router compatible with Optus broadband, a cable to go from the router into the modem, a cable to each computer from the ports on the back of the router. You just follow the instructions, have the computers set to acquire IP addresses automatically and away you go.

The router will have a firewall but i still run PC Cillin on both comps. You still need virus protection. If the kids are using one, you'll need some good Adware, spyware protection as well. For that I use ewido (you can download it and get free trial for 30 days - but seems good to me).

If you really want a bit more info, you can PM me and I'll send you my phone number (or Skype details - that's a free call
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Something like this would be good (IMO).

For anti virus, I like the TrendMicro suite. I bought 2 copies from this guy, and both were genuine products, and I've registered both with Trend.
    Chris

Life isn't always fair

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb691
    Something like this would be good (IMO).

For anti virus, I like the TrendMicro suite. I bought 2 copies from this guy, and both were genuine products, and I've registered both with Trend.
    OMG ! I just paid $70 for a copy of that Trend Micro suite Why didn't I check ebay first :mad:

Thanks Guys, that router you recommended is the same one Gumby has, I am going to go with this suggestion, thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Felixe

Gumby was pretty much on the money.

The switch just lets multiple machines talk to each other.

The router however will allow masquerading which means all the different machines, with their unique numbers, will be magically transformed into a single address to talk to the optus server over the broadband link, which is what you need.

You can get seperate modems and routers and switches, but for home the best option is the bundled 4 port modem which has it all bundled in.
    Ray