Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post Black Japan - Sealer

Greetings
    I'm about to experiment with Black Japan and Haymes dyes. Initially on radiata pine then hoop pine etc as skills improve. Also rejuvenating old furniture which has been stripped to bare wood. My ? is: Feast Watson advise sealing pine with (obviously) their Proofseal. Will using shellac sanding sealer -I appreciate it is not a real sealer - achieve the same result if in fact any 'sealer' is required? Or is it FW simply wanting us to use more of their product?. Secondly do you consider using shellac sanding sealer as a 'must do'prior to applying stain to old furniture. As previous forums have suggsted it is best to stick a minimum of finish types so would appreciate comments. Yes,I have 'A Polishers Handbook.
    Many thanks
    Brian

Originally posted by BrianT:
    Greetings
    I'm about to experiment with Black Japan ....
    Many thanks
    Brian
    G'day.
    I've had a go at the Black Japan...
    Try it on some scrap first.
    I put it on some plywood speaker boxes & made a mess of it. I tried to sand it smooth & made a bigger mess of it. It chokes the sandpaper if you have to try to sand it.

------------------
    Catchya,
    Cliff
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Hi Cliff,
    Like you I have tried and will continue, playing around with scraps of wood and various mixtures/blends of stain etc. My main confusion as a a novice is the manufacturer advises to use a SEALER when it seems common wisdom/advice is NOT to use a sealer prior to staining - OK Black Japan is more paint like. Shall keep trying and messing things up - sure get some interesting results.
    Thanks
    Brian.

[This message has been edited by BrianT (edited 16 September 2002).]