Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: 2pak or not2pak

Cool 2pak or not2pak

Hi Guys,

Appreciate any advice from experienced sprayers.
    I have knocked up a couple of linnen closset doors to match a 2paked polyU white bathroom vanity. As this stuff is not enviro friendly to spray outside a booth can anyone advise me on a finish that might come close, (that I can spray at home).It doesn't have to be as tough as 2pak but a high gloss would be desirable.I have HVLP spray gear.
    I thought about maybe Nitro over a colour (white) but I have only ever used it in clear. Timber used for doors Routed MDF.

It really is me.................
    Cheers

You can spray NC over a colour. I generally finish my wifes folk art that way.

Try on scrap first naturally. The first coat is a light sealer and then build up from there.

NC can be got in lustre up to 95%.

Any reason why you can't use Gloss enamel paint?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks . Cool Avatar!
    I'm assuming that your wifes folk art is painted in acrylic is that correct.

Hi Matrix,
    I've always found enamal a little bit soft and it seems to scratch easily.
    Do you have any secrets I should know about.

Two doors would not be much of a hazard to spray in 2 pack poly if you are able to pick your time and place. If you have a back yard with some space put them outside on a fine wind free day, though its a bit cold now.
    The rule is - in the morning, fine weather before the wind comes up. Thats when a spray painter would plan to spray a car.

As long as its above 18 degrees C its Ok.

Would only take a minute to spray each one. Do one wait 10 minutes between coats then store it in the garage then do the other door the same way. A warm garage would help with the paint setting. Just don't get in there when its wet and start routing.

2 pack would not only give you a matching finish you want but you would have less wet overspray than the air dry enamel.

If you use lacquers you would have to put on about 4-5 coats which would take you longer and stir up the neighbours a lot more and the gloss level is only about 80% unless you then compound. You then have to be careful you don't rub through edges.