Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Proposed renovation, moving bathroom and kitchen

Hi All
    I'm looking to buy a house which is in need of renovation. It is a single story, brick venier and about 50 years old. It looks like its in good structural condition, all it needs is a new kitchen, bathroom, polish the boards and paint. We are looking at 2 options, 1. to keep the existing floorplan and replace/referbish the kitchen and bathroom, or 2. change the floor plan and creating an open floorplan with new kitchen and loung towards the back of the house.
    I figured since we want to replace the bathroom and kitchen, we may as well fix the floorplan if it doesn't cost too much extra. So my question is, has anyone had an experiance such as option 2 and how much roughly would such a renovation cost (i'm not sure if any walls are load bearing, so maybe keep this in mind)?
    Keeping in mind that i have a few tradie mates that owe me a few favours...
    also, I'm not really worried about losing a bedroom
    I know it sounds a bit ridiculous asking how much this would cost without seeing the house but i'm just doing a bit of research on a price range.
    BUT i've attached the current and proposed (roughly) floorplan!
    Thanks heaps!
    Mike

3 to 2 bedroom will lower the re-sale value plus it might be hard to step over the vanity to get in the shower.

haha good point!
    as i said, its a rough plan, yes i made a mistake, but you get the idea don't you? hehehe, i'm very flexible...
    I'm not to concerened about having 2 bedrooms as i would probably extend up in the future

I would leave as is but remove the small arch/wall between the meals area and the lounge area making it one big space.

Leave the bedrooms as is. JMO

Joel
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

thats one of our options but there is no real entrance to the backyard apart from the laundry door, thats why we'd like to move the living area to the back

Quote Originally Posted by mmoretti
    haha good point!
    as i said, its a rough plan, yes i made a mistake, but you get the idea don't you? hehehe, i'm very flexible...
    I'm not to concerened about having 2 bedrooms as i would probably extend up in the future
    Mike, if you plan on extending in the future, where do you plan on putting the staircase in as you should plan for this now rather than renovate and then figure out where to put it as this will have a huge influence. Also, what do you plan on putting upstairs as your plans show a huge bedroom downstairs?
    Cheers,
    Hongy

Quote Originally Posted by mmoretti
    I figured since we want to replace the bathroom and kitchen, we may as well fix the floorplan if it doesn't cost too much extra. So my question is, has anyone had an experiance such as option 2 and how much roughly would such a renovation cost (i'm not sure if any walls are load bearing, so maybe keep this in mind)?
    Have you got a site plan that shows the house location on the block, which views are nice (if any) and which way is north? Is your sun from any direction blocked by anything?

I'd be orienting the living areas to the north for Victoria.

If you make the lounge into the main bedroom, that is huge for what is essentially a small house. You might be able to use some of the space as a WIR or ensuite (or even some of the space for the new bathroom

In my limited experience of getting quotes from builders, rearranging internal walls is cheaper than new kitchens or bathrooms, so it is not going to add much.

Are you planning to live there long? Is this reno for you or do you want to add value to the house?

BTW 2.8x3.2m is a small bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by totoblue
    I'd be orienting the living areas to the north for Victoria.
    Really? I'd be relocating the living areas north - about 300k's north and across the border!
    Retired member

Given the age of the house, it is most likely that the walls are load bearing, so I would suggest that you think about extending up now rather then renovating

Cheers DJ