11 37.93%
  • My woodwork is inspired by other works of art

6 20.69%
  • Red wine.

10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

G'day,

For me inspiration can come from a colour somewhere, typography in a magazine or a promo spot on TV, like the new one on Ch2 at the moment, basically anywhere. Doesn't really apply to Alex's question, but maybe to apply it to it, it could come from a curve or shape on anything, then you see a chair and wonder how you could apply that yourself - at least that's how it works in my case.

Not that I make chairs, although I have turned one of our dining table chairs upside down and comented that I could make SWMBO 2 new ones to match, but I got told I've got too much else to do yet. Shot down in flames for trying, can't win anyway I try. :eek:
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

If ya didn't vote "Red Wine" there is something wrong wif ya!!

Alex, I would vote for ALL except #1.

In another life I was a commercial photographer so quality design (images) are somehow filed away in the back of the mind. When I see an interesting design I can correlate other similar stuff I've seen & come up with something I'd be happy to build, making my own adjustments.
    Cheers

Major Panic

Good poll Alex.

Red wine and talking wood for me followed by sketches on paper or whiteboard or in my mind.

People who use plans or copy other work should do themselves a favour and experience the joy of your own designs whether it be woodwork or hardware or software or even going on a holiday.
    - Wood Borer

I get my insperation from Al.

I keep wanting to make wooden goats.
    Photo Gallery

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

And bicycles, or is that bi-cycles
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

I will fess up, and admit that quite a few of my projects have been made from other people's plans and designs. In fact I bought plans for my current project, a rolltop desk. However, I am not following the plans exactly; I have made a number of modifications, since I wanted to use solid wood and raised panels throughout, whereas the plans called for a veneered writing surface and veneered plywood panels. I also went for a different method of making the tambour and installing the drawers.

Actually, I believe that, until you have acquired a fair degree of expertise and experience, it is wise to follow a design produced by an expert, rather than attempt your own design. I have noticed a number of projects posted on this forum by relative beginners have had fundamental design faults, because the makers were not aware of the necessity of allowing for wood movement in a project.

That being said, I think it is best to go for designs from top-quality magazines like Fine Woodworking, and to go for ambitious and demanding projects that will be challenging, but rewarding.

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    I keep wanting to make wooden goats.
    Wooden ya know it?

Al

Must try that red wine theory, couple of outcomes from inspiration turned out as dove tailed BBQ wood.
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!