Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Which comes first….

Or more accurately what should I install first. I have done an extension that includes house and deck and was wondering am I supposed to install the cladding (chamferboard) or decking first? That is, should the decking boards run to the outside of the chamferboard or the chamferboard to the top of the decking boards.

On the side of the house without deck I will run the chamfers down to the bottom of the bearer level however due to the fact that the bearers and joists have been done for the deck and they are next to the house on 2 sides (fully roofed) the chamfers are only going to be coming down just past the top of the joist level. Is this the normal way to do it or should I have left the deck joists out and tried to chamfer to the bottom of bearer level on the two walls that will have the deck?<O</O

Hope this question makes sense.<O</O

Cheers<O

photos would help maybe?

I think the decking needs to go to the chamferboards

journeyman mick would know though

Thanks Womble - my thoughts would have been the same as you i.e chamfer boards first then run the decking boards up to it (ensuring the chamfers are laid below the deck floor level). No picture as such (its dark and the camera batteries were dead when I just went to take one ) so hopefulyy a quick MS paint rendition will shed some light.

Basically the deck joists run parallel to the house joists, the deck joists are slightly below the level of the house joists, I have laid the first deck joist out from the house joist (hopefully allowing enough room to put chamfer below the level of the deck floor), I had NOT planned to chamfer down to the bottom of the bearer level (protected by eaves and then the freestanding deck roof which goes over the house roof).

From the attached the question was

Do I run the chamfers down the wall below the deck floor level and then have the deck board ends but up against the chamfer boards or lay the deck first and thus have the bottom of the chamfer sitting on top of the decking boards?

ACtually another question regarding doing the chamfers to the bottom of bearer level - what do you folks do when you attach a deck to an existing house? In this scenario the external cladding would run down to the bottom of the bearer level but I assume this would be removed so the deck can either utilise the house subfloor or a ledger etc. is attached to direct to the subfloor timbers rather than on the outside of the external cladding. Is that what happens (trying to justify not planning to put chamfers down to the bottom of the bearer level

Depends on local council regs. Here a permit's required for all decking, but I've worked in places where a permit's not required provided the decks not physically attached to the house in any way.

Provided you leave enough clearance between the closest bearer and the chamfer board (so the bottom-most c/boards can be simply replaced if ever the need arises) then I'd simply butt the decking up to the cladding. Well... not quite. I'd leave around a 1cm clearance gap to allow for expansion and prevent rot from moisture trapped in the butt-joint.

If the closest bearer was going to physically bolt to the side of the house (packed out or otherwise) I'd remove the bottom-most cladding, fasten the bearer and flash along the top of it (to prevent rot from trapped moisture), replacing the cladding over the flashing to a 5-10mm or so above the top of the bearer. Then I'd add the decking, again leaving around a 1cm gap between the ends and the cladding.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I've put some plans for our house up in the link below, the decking goes right to the bearer with the chamferboard coming down to it, not what I thought it would do but the deck is covered so it shouldn't be too much of a problem one hopes...

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...426#post320426