Thread: TV or not TV

Default TV or not TV

TV or not TV
    I’m in the market for a new TV and just starting to do my homework – rather than get a biased view from the salesman I thought I would get the forum’s opinions.
    Plasma or LCD
    High Definition or Standard Definition
    HD/SD ready or built-in
    Screen size
    Cautions or precautions with the above
    Your personal experiences / opinions

Yes, I am aware that there is not much worth viewing currently with all of the so called reality shows – some people really do need to get a shed/ hobby/ life,
    . frequent lack of punctuality of the stations – basically a lack of manners and respect for the viewers,
    . incessant, over powering, continuity destroying advertising – even sneaking into the ABC

In spite of the above I’m still in the market and seeking your opinions
    Regards and thanks,
    Bob

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Plasma is nice but it depends upon the breed, the cheap ones are not as nice as the Pioneers etc.
    LCD are getting there and not far away from a very good picture, once again depends upon who's it is.
    Plasma has tubes which will die, they cannot be replaced but until 10% (I think) have shed their mortal (?) coil it is unlikely you will notice.
    Some LCD's cannot keep up with a fast moving image and will give an animated appearance (there is a name for this, lag or something) but that will improve with time.
    Both are expensive although a fraction of what they were three years ago.
    Neither like being dropped, nor does a CRT for that matter.
    HD is a better system than SD and when digital becomes fully operational it will be to your advantage.
    Are you looking at a TV or a monitor and a digital tuner? Both are available.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Are you looking at a TV or a monitor and a digital tuner? Both are available.
    Sorry not really up to speed on the differences - I'm still using a Sony video which I have to program as at 1995 to match the dates for 2006.
    I'm open to all suggestions
    Bob

One is a screen only with inputs for external devices such as home theatre, etc etc.
    If you have a home theatre it will accommodate everything you want with a single video output to the screen.
    A TV is a dedicated unit that can receive signal from an antenna directly and you can switch from channel to channel.
    Sorry if that is confusing but if you have plans for a home theatre and digital tuner (set top box) just buying a screen can save some money.
    I recently went to help someone out who was trying to set up their new 'TV', problem was, it wasn't, just a screen with no tuning device.
    The cretins he bought it from didn't know the difference, was just a big plasma to them so therefore the be all end all.
    As he was buying a home theatre it really didn't worry him that much, just his Mrs missed out on 'daze of our wives' for a couple of days.

High definition Plasma (Panasonic, Nec are too good ones) Get a seperate Set top box for viewing HD Free to air (Some good ones are tompson and Panasonic)

Well for the screen size thats really going to come down the budget. I have the 50inch Panasonic HD plasma and just love it. however all the sizes have the same picture quality and as long as your happy with what ever size you get then thats all thats important.

get good quality cables for it all (not monster crap) and you will be set for many many years to come.

OH and make sure to calibrate it properly so as to get the best picture quality out of it because it will last longer and be easyer on the eyes.

I remember seeing a formula for room size screen size ratio, not that anyone seems to worry, I have a 7" widescreen LCD that sits beside the bed, SWMBO watches the CRT on the wall at the end of the bed.
    68cm was the accepted norm for a while but it seems to be getting bigger with widescreen, which is what a lot of TV content is now.

Went with LCD and love it the lag Ian mentions is the refresh rate and is now at about 8m/s on new units and at that speed the lag is not noticeable
    Couple of things I would look for is picture in picture , enjoy watching the football or cricket in the corner, and whatever you decide on stick with the one brand as you add a dvd hard drive recorder, set top box , dvd player , surround system etc as all the controlers match as do all the fittings cables etc. Go with as suggested good quality cables and finally get a good power board with surge protection, a lot of people spend several thousand dollars on a tv and dvd, surroung etc and wont spend $200 on a quality power board

Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

I just went through the exercise a couple of months ago. The first thing I asked myself was, do I want to watch TV on a reasonable sized screen or do I want to pay heaps of dough so I've got a lot of bragging points.

I was realistic and bought a Sony 66cm widescreen CRT for less than $700.00, with 5 years warranty. Suits me fine.

Hi Bob38s, try this site http://www.dtvforum.info/ it will have all the info you should need, simliar to this woodwork site only its abouts tv,s etc.

Regards Thommo

Many thanks all.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    I just went through the exercise a couple of months ago. The first thing I asked myself was, do I want to watch TV on a reasonable sized screen or do I want to pay heaps of dough so I've got a lot of bragging points.
    Erm, not everyone wants a large tv so they can brag..
    I brought my tv in the size it is because it was what I wanted and it was in my budget.

Just because someone buys something expensive doesn't mean they want to brag about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyPaw
    Erm, not everyone wants a large tv so they can brag..
    I brought my tv in the size it is because it was what I wanted and it was in my budget.

Just because someone buys something expensive doesn't mean they want to brag about it.
    Thats fine, but a lot of people do get caught up in the "mine's bigger than yours" syndrome. Also if you check things out on the relevant sites, the projected life of a plasma or LCD unit is about 5-6 years, for a CRT it is 10-15 years.

My next TV will be a computer's LCD using the computer as a media center... reasoning is a computers lcd kicks both plasma and normal lcds ass, currently have a 24" Dell widescreen LCD on my computer and a Loewe 81cm widescreen CRT... theres just no comparision I'd rather watch DVD's on the computer even though the screen is much smaller!
    I'll just be waiting a few years but, you can get 30" computer screens now if you can afford it... wont be long before a 50" arrives and a few years for the price's too drop.
    I dont think there is any need for bigger than 50" for normal TV veiwing.

But in saying that I still lust for a high end projector just for movies... one day!