Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Magnif mate absolutely magnif, greenie deserved and sent
    Arch

Where is the elusive Mr Denlen to answer all

Default answers

Hi All,

This is denlen's daughter (he is unable to respond to anyone until the weekend so I thought I should get on the job - I also put his photos up on this website - with his approval of course!)

No he did not make the chairs, they were purchased at an auction for $5 each and he stripped, sanded and stained them - good match hey!

I have no idea how big the table top is - I just know that it is very HEAVY, it took 4 of us to carry it into the house (had to get the house re-stumped too of course - he he)

A number of you have asked about his shed - how funny because he doesnt even have one! He does most of his work at woodwork class and on the front step of his house (drives mum mad with all the dust) otherwise, he comes to my house and takes over the garage!!

He will have to tell you all the details of the piece (finish, dimensions, structure etc) but I can tell you that it is own original design.

This hobby started about 9 years ago and my myself, mum and sister have all been very fortunate to have some lovely pieces in our homes (all built by dad) so I will post more pictures of some previous work shortly.

Ciao, Kim

Thanks Kim!

I ( and all of us here, methinks) look forward to that with anticipation.

Give your dad a big "well done" - then a quiet word in his ear for him to stop embarrassing the rest of us (just kidding

Kim - You're going to inherit some beautiful heirloom pieces one day - and I cannot believe he managed that without a shed and is taking classes:confused:...... or is he teaching them:confused:. Beautiful work!
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Thumbs up

Magnificent piece of work Denise, and all made without a shed!!!!!!!!!!

You will have to in time put up photo's of the other pieces that Kim has told us about. You need to give us more detail Please.

Cheers Peter

Default Redgum Dining Table Answers

DENLEN Redgum Table Answers
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    First I would like to thank all for their kind remarks about the table.
    <o></o>
    The table took about two years from conception to completion. Design
    was caused by wife who did not want 8 legs. I made a scale model of the
    top and tried various different bases before I came up with one that had
    just 8 panels joined together. This was later changed to 8 panels with the
    protruding supports because the first one failed the tilt test.
    <o></o>
    The wood all came from Bega and it is all from the same tree. The sleepers were new. Saved them from going to the nursery for sale. Because they were cut for sleepers and not furniture the grain was very cranky and the machines hated it. It is made in three separate pieces. Pedestal, frame and top. This makes it transportable. The top is 1925mm across sitting position to opposite sitting and each sitting position is 790mmwide. I originally designed it to be 820mm wide for each sitting position but this made it 225mm wide and I could not get it through the door. I had the top flattened by a man named Tass who hails from Toongabbie in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1ity><st1lace>Sydney</st1lace></st1ity> and has a wood wiz. Finish is 50% Satin Proof and 50% Fine Buffing Oil.
    <o></o>
    The chairs painted grey when purchased and my wife re-upholstered them. After repairing, stripping & sanding them I took them to a pro with a sample of a panel and got them colour matched. They are made from European beech and were originally made in <st1:country-region><st1lace>Italy</st1lace></st1:country-region>.
    <o></o>
    As for the shed hopefully in the near future and big enough to do other projects of this size. In the meantime I will continue with my classes at Benchworks without whom the advice and support I received from my teachers and fellow students this project would not have been completed.
    <o></o>
    <o></o>
    The forklift tracks will eventually removed with new carpet and the possible relative was actually my alter ego.
    <o></o>
    <o></o>
    Hope this answers all the questions.
    <o></o>
    Denis

Thanks Denis, good comprehensive answers .

Don't you hate it when you use cut and paste from a word doc and all the tags come with it
    Cheers

TEEJAY

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

(Man was born to hunt and kill)

Quote Originally Posted by denlen

The forklift tracks will eventually removed with new carpet

<O

Quote Originally Posted by denlen
    A number of you have asked about his shed - how funny because he doesnt even have one! He does most of his work at woodwork class and on the front step of his house (drives mum mad with all the dust) otherwise, he comes to my house and takes over the garage!!

This hobby started about 9 years ago and my myself, mum and sister have all been very fortunate to have some lovely pieces in our homes (all built by dad) so I will post more pictures of some previous work shortly.

Ciao, Kim
    So why dontcha all get him the stuff to build a shed with.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Really great work, wow what a design, especially like the connections for the base and the colour in the redgum looks terrific.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Default Dissenter

I just cant help stirring the pot! Whil I have to acknowledge a truly magnificant effort, I hate octagonal tables!!

Just on a slightly different note, while I am aware that there are over 50 varietys of redgum, is the timber you easteners call redgum from the same family as West aussie redgum or marri?

Cheers

Laury

Nice table Denis!

Quote Originally Posted by loz
    Just on a slightly different note, while I am aware that there are over 50 varietys of redgum, is the timber you easteners call redgum from the same family as West aussie redgum or marri?

Cheers

Laury
    Great tip If you have a bad tooth ache, find a Marri tree and put some of the sticky red gum on your finger then into your mouth and rub it on the sore tooth. Works a treat

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum
    Great tip If you have a bad tooth ache, find a Marri tree and put some of the sticky red gum on your finger then into your mouth and rub it on the sore tooth. Works a treat
    Vodka is better... It doesn't fix the toothache ...but who cares..
    There's no such thing as too many Routers