Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 65mm Step in Floor Height - BCA issue ?

Hi all,

I have recently raising an old Queenslander and built in underneath as an owner builder project. The downstairs is nearing completion and the next stage of the project is some pretty major renovations to the upstairs, part of which involves removing some walls.

One of the walls to be removed is between the kitchen and the rear bedroom which will then become the lounge room. This room was added 20 or so years ago as an extension to the main house. The problem I have is that the floor height in that section is 65mm higher than the rest of the house. Once the wall is removed and the new kitchen is installed, the pathway from the main house into the lounge will require walking across the step i.e it will be in a main thoroughfare.

Is anyone able to advise me on the Building Code implications of a 65mm step in floor height ? I will go back to the certifier to discuss if necessary, but was hoping someone could offer some independant advice.

If it is not allowed, suggestions on what do to are also appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Blair

The BCA requirements are minimum step riser of 115mm and a maximum of 190mm. You may have to put in a small ramp to bridge the gap. Speak to your building surveyor (certifier) as common sense can sometimes prevail.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.