Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Damm modern Techo Stuff

Damm modern Techo Stuff it just dosn't last, I still have a perfectly good radio tape player in the shed in the dust 30 years old and still works without missing a beat.

About 4 months ago the 4 year old dvd burner decided it was far too important to look at cd's or even aknowledge they exist
    No problem as I also have a 6 year old cd burner , Being a quiet night decided tonight to put songs on an I-Pod for shmbo's holliday in early June, have been getting around to it for a couple of weeks now , after the second CD it decides to loose its smoke,
    Annoying yes but to think I was at a computer fair this afternoon looking at LG double laver 16 speed dvd burners for $56 and thought no don't need one yet, and the next fair isn't till after shmbo leaves . Hate to think of the price at Harvies or Dominoes.
    And this stuff is inside regulated temp and power no dust and still doesn't last.
    So to cap it all off have spent 4 hours trying to get latest download driver for the dvd burner , for which there are none , cause its just too old , 4 years and its redundant , what are we coming to :confused:
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Ashore, stick with BenQ DVD burners mate, the DW1640 is a good one, not the latest model so should be a reasonable price. I paid $65.00 about 6 months ago, so they should be cheaper now.

if all you want is a CD burner you can pick them up for 40 dollers now at hardly normal.

A DVD writer (dual layer) can be picked up for under 100 dollers. From places like the good guys, hardly normal, dick smith and so forth

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    LG's have a bad rep when it comes to burners, great readers but lousy burners.

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    Ashore, stick with BenQ DVD burners mate, the DW1640 is a good one, not the latest model so should be a reasonable price. I paid $65.00 about 6 months ago, so they should be cheaper now.
    Personally I wouldn't touch Benq with a barge pole. Benq are just re-badged acers and we had about an %80 failure rate in a bunch of acer monitors......

I like the Sony drives personally, never had an issue with any failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Termite
    LG's have a bad rep when it comes to burners, great readers but lousy burners.
    Not according to the Autralian PC User mag, May 2006 issue.
    LG scored the highest marks in all tests.

Al

Thanks for the replys guys am doing some checks now on the best around
    Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Quote Originally Posted by pau1
    Personally I wouldn't touch Benq with a barge pole. Benq are just re-badged acers and we had about an %80 failure rate in a bunch of acer monitors......

I like the Sony drives personally, never had an issue with any failures.
    Check again, Benq's are now Benq's and the Sony's are rebadged Benq's. Things change all the time.
    As for test reports, have a look on whirlpool and see the opinions of people that are actually using them.

Quote Originally Posted by pau1
    ...wouldn't touch Benq with a barge pole. Benq are just re-badged acers and we had about an %80 failure rate in a bunch of acer monitors........
    I don't think so....

I agree with the failure rate of the Acer monitors, we had a VERY high failure rate in them, almost 100%.

So far, touch wood, the failure rate of the Benqs is less than 8%.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.