Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Lightbulb Re-polishing a cabinet. Part 4

Lets see if I can get my spelling & gramma a little better this time!

First on the cards today was to remove the clamp and see what success I had with that veneer patch. It worked great, but I forgot to get a pic before I trimed it up and sanded the old polish off the recycled veneer I used for the patch. But as you can see it come out pretty good.

Next I decided to fix the new back in place. It will help protect all the electric componants while I am finishing it. You will note I am using little screws to attach it, this is because if my client does ever decide to get any work done to the electrics they will need easy access. Otherwise I would have just used a decent flathead nail. I also used two pieces of ply to cover the back so its easier for anyone to access either the top or bottom sections.

Now its time to get start considering the finishing stage of the cabinet. And as the inside isn't getting re-finished I need to protect it from any harm. So I have to run some masking-tape (well first I had to run uptown to get some more!) around the inside border then I can tape down some special plastic cover sheet. This is good stuff as any paint or stuff that gets on it won't flake off (well it used to until recently when they inproved the stuff) And this should answer Johnno's quiery about protecting the radiograms componants.

Whoops! Before I get to far I better not forget them feet again! Well I did, so I have to go get them and sand them up to the same stage as everything else.

Now its time for the final once over! This is when I 'prep' everything for the first coat. Sand all the sharp edges back, clean any missed putty off etc etc. Its a good chance to check for anything that I might have missed. Also a good time to drop down a couple of grades in abrasive.

Now its time to tint some wood stain to match the veneer then go round the cabinet and stain all the moulding etc that isn't walnut. If this isn't done it will end up with a very noticable two tone colour.

Now after a good clean up its time to mix up some lacquer and get the first 'seal' coat down. Yeah yeah, don't get excited I am only spraying the finish on & am using an N/C Laquer sanding sealer.

Well that pic is a bit dark but I think you can make out the difference between where I have coated and where I havn't.
    And after a short time everything is coated front, back, sides, top, bottom etc! & ready to be left overnight to dry and be ready for the very boring second coat tommorrow! Arn't you just shivering with excitment in anticipation!

Please leave your comments/questions here & I will post Part 5 in a new topic.

Cheers!

------------------
    Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece! SO
    Work like you don't need the money... Love like you've never been hurt...
    Dance like nobodys watching...

Lightbulb

Hi Shane,

Another fantastic post. One word of possible advice, it might be a good idea to protect your camera in a sealable lunch bag or something, particulalry if you leave it sitting in your workshop when you are sanding. I don't have to tell you how fine wood dust can be and I know I fear for my camera in my workshop when I am taking project pictures. My fears may be unfounded but it is an $800 risk I don't want to take and I keep my trusty Kodak DX3600 in a re-sealable lunch bag (you know the type you seal by squeezing your fingers along the top ridge...?)

Other than that though, KEEP IT COMING!!!!

------------------
    Glenn
    www.woodworkbooks.com

Yeah I know what your saying! I do keep the camera in a camera case, but I think I like your idea better.
    Cheers!

Excellent posts Shane,to have taken us thru all your stages of work is something that is a rarity on BB's all over and I thank you for sharing your interesting refurbishment with us.
    Look forward to your further posts.
    Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.