Thread: Arc Roof

Default Arc Roof

I have been asked to replace a roof with shade cloth but my problem is how do i match the same shape of the roof as the area is 5 mtrs x 4 mtrs with no supports.Timber will bow metal is ugly.As you can see the shape that is needed. I sujested s/steel wire with tentioners but how do i get the arc shape?
    HELP

Just guessing here.

I guess there are the basics of a steel frame to support the iron, could you wrap a reasonably heavy gauge galv mesh over the framework and attatch the shadecloth over this?
    Jack

Are you removing all the roof or the section that is already missing?
    If it is the session that is already missing, your idea of stainless wire cross wise between the existing sections might work. You might need to put a wire across at every 30 degrees so that the shade cloth roughly follows the curve of the roof.

Jon

Yes Jon this section of the roof (the gap) is rotted and there are trees below it so yes it will be removed totally. I was told i should use PVC pipe to get the same shape of the roof but how would that work would it not crack ? Gal wire mesh would be to heavy.
    Or can i get white lazerlite made to the same shape available?

I've successfully pulled a deflection in lazerlite similar to the curve in your pic. It would require a considerable amount of framing to support it over 5 metres,this puts you back to square one.
    The simplest way would be to stretch stainless steel cable and cover with shade cloth, the more lengths of cable you put in the better the curve will look. Having said that I think you will get a fair bit of sag in the cable over 5 metres esspecially when you start stretching the shade cloth.

Over 5 metres you could get the stainless wire really straight but you would need to see if the existing structure could take the tension that would be needed. Also would the structure take the instant loads of high gusts of wind on the shade cloth?
    Have a nice day - Cheers

This project is starting tomorrow 9/5/06 and i will put the finished pics when i finish of corse.
    Cheers
    Muzza

Talking It's Finished

[quote=mudgutts](This project is starting tomorrow 9/5/06 and i will put the finished pics when i finish of corse.
    Cheers
    Muzza)

Here are the pic's of the finished job