Default Excavation Costs

Hi everyone,

Im demolishing the back of my house and putting on an extension. I need to arrange excavtion as its not deep enough at the back as the house is slanted uphill. I was wondering how expensive it is to get done. The builder is leaving it to me get done (although they will tell me what needsto be doen and how deep etc).

thanks

Cobber

Could be as low as $12.99!
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-prosp...QQcmdZViewItem
    Just around the corner from you, too!

Sorry Cobber, couldn't resist it.

Good luck with it. Sorry I couldn't offer any serious advice...
    Retired member

Nice one Brendan,

Could be an option....

From memory, a bobcat is around $60/hour, excavator about $75 and backhoe about $90. It all depends on what the digging is like and whether they hit rock or not.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Ive used a plant hire mob for all my earthworks, I used Julius, but there are heaps here in melbourne, Julius is in Keilor, another you will find is southern plant hire in campbellfield, go through one of these mobs and they will give the industry standard price which is about $140/hour for truck, bobcat and excavator plus a float in and out, I think it either 4 or 8 hour min on the first day, you will need to pay for any fill that go's which is any between $50 and $100. If they do charge you for tip fees make sure you get a receipt from the tip because allot of blokes have places that they can dump soil for free but still sting you for the tip fees.

Default excavation costs

Costs are about right, I work for a plant company here on weekends and he charges about 90 an hour for a bobcat GST Inclusive.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Thanks everyone. Useful advice. Much appreciated.

Is the $140 for the bobcat, excavator and also the trucks or is it $140 each? I assume that its for all 3?

cheers

Cobber

It should be for all 3. Normally we call it combo which includes the 2 machines and the truck. He would be a pretty crook bloke charging you seperatly at that price.
    Dave,

bluegum is right its for all three. the float varys but I think its around $130 each way. As the excavator go's up in size so does the price and minimum hours, knowing brunswick you'll probably only need a machine around the 5 ton mark. Have you got good access to your back yard because if the truck could get in there the excavator can load straight into the truck which would be cheaper than having him dig, pile it and then transport to truck with the bobcat.

Not sure if a truck would get through the gate to be honest. Its probably not wide enough.

Default excavation.

That's not really a big issue as most companies tend to have a few different sized trucks. If not then the operator will make trips to the truck. This should all be included in the cost so as he doesnt slug you with any other charges. If the spoil is being removed from site then ask the driver for a copy of the tip docket. You don't want to be slugged for the costs only to discover its been dumped else where. I think that might have been already mentioned though. I would also get a minimum of 3 quotes and compare them.
    Dave,