Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Maker's Mark

They look fantastic but at that price I'll just have to stick with the felt pen for now
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Quote Originally Posted by TTIT
    They look fantastic but at that price I'll just have to stick with the felt pen for now
    Or maybe you could do something flash with a couple of cuts with a butt and carving chisel....put your initials in somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper
    Or maybe you could do something flash with a couple of cuts with a butt and carving chisel....put your initials in somewhere.
    Yep, and that looks great. James Krenov uses a chisel and carves a simple JK into his work and it looks fantastic

I can't afford these fancy ones (nor am I producing work that justifys the cost!), so I'm planning on getting a local company that does laser etching of wood to make some up.

Here are a couple of photos showing what the process can do (and cheaply). This trophy cost about $7 including the timber and all the etching. You pay by the amount of time the laser is on for the job, so letters etc are very cheap. The depth of cut is controllable, and can be down as far as 1mm or more. The second shot is to try to give an idea of the depth of cut.

Imagine what a makers plate made by this technique would look like! (And for a fraction of the cost of those metal ones - not that I'm knocking them at all - just can't afford them!)
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum
    Yep, and that looks great. James Krenov uses a chisel and carves a simple JK into his work and it looks fantastic
    Thats where I got it from ! .....forgot where I got the idea from.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart_lees
    I'm planning on getting a local company that does laser etching of wood to make some up.
    Stuart, there are some instances where I don't want to use my makers mark, neither the bronze plate nor the one burned with a branding iron. Can you post the name of the place where you got those made? Thanks!

I will as soon as I track them down again, and get some made!! Will post some images of the result. Now I just have to design one. They can either be told the wording, or you can even provide a gif or jpg file that you want to have etched (as was done with the Triton symbol shown above).
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

I received a quite from the chap in the UK, but for the moment, I'm happy enough with the branding iron that I bought from LV

Has anyone else, other than Sheddy and me ordered these?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    In the process of getting a quote.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by DPB
    Stuart, there are some instances where I don't want to use my makers mark, neither the bronze plate nor the one burned with a branding iron. Can you post the name of the place where you got those made? Thanks!
    I'm the same Don. I don't expect I'll ever need to buy more. If I produce 1 thing each year which I'd be happy to put my mark on I'll consider myself fortunate. So 140 odd bucks for a 30 year supply is a good deal as far as I'm concerned.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!