Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Tree root barrier

Hi, I have a gardening question but have no gardening knowledge at all, so any advice will be appreciated.

I want to add character to the house by planting perhaps two medium sized trees in the front yard. I'm thinking perhaps a silver birch would suit the style of house, block the western sun in the summer but let it through in the winter although the question is probably relevant to any tree type.

My problem is that I'm not sure of how a tree will affect the house foundations. Its a 60 year old brick house and the soil is fairly reactive clay (Western Melbourne). I recently saw plastic sheets at Bunnings which were about 2-3 mm thick and advertised as tree root barriers. Do they work and if so how deep and how far from the tree should they be to stop roots charging towards the house?

Default Root barrier

Hi Rscho

Birches don't have very envasive roots. If thay are planted far-enough from the house you won't need a root barrier. If you where planting say 3 meters or more from the house you should be fine.

Birches have a life span of around 20 years if lightly pruned. Pruning these trees aggresively will couse rot and subsequent tree failer.

Tree roots generaly wont travel under your house neither. There is little water, oxygen and light there.

If you want more help let me know. I'm a qualified tree surgeon with 7 year's in the industry.

Regards Jamie

This was on "Your Place" the other night (a cable tv show on the How To channel).

Anyway they used a root barrier product from www.rootbarrier.com.au
    Check that website for more info. Their barrier is only 0.7mm thick though, but they reckon it will do the trick for keeping tree roots away from the house.
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?