Question Repairing Headpiece

I'm in need of HELP!!

I have an old wardrobe, built around the time of WW1
    by my Grandfather.
    It has a Headpiece, [or Crown if you like] which sits on top of the Wardrobe proper.
    This has scrolling and small carved acorn thingeys on it.

Some of the decorative side pieces are splitting at the bottom.
    What is best to repair this?
    Just glue/adhesive, with/without small nails/screws?

Oh!! The timber is a Hardwood, something like Tallow-wood of all things.

Thanks,
    Ivan in Oz
    Navvi

Has it only recently started splitting? If so you may need to look at why before you attempt to repair. Possible causes could be: has been moved from a more humid environment - elsewhere in house or country, airconditioning fitted in room, direct sunlight on piece, unusually dry weather/drought. Rectifying any of these problems may result in the splits closing up by themselves. I'm hesitant about doing too much to antiques or heirloom pieces as repairs can destroy some of the history and patina. If the splits are open you would need to use a glue with gapfilling capabilitites but you don't want excess to run out and mark the face. Another possibility is to use some fibreglass bandage with resin from behind to reinforce the split but this would be totally out of character with the piece, so maybe some linen and hide glue. This piece probably has a lot of nostalgic appeal so the number one rule for antiques repair would definitely apply: "First do no harm"

Mick