Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Suggestions for a finish

Hi all

I am currently restoring dining setting and am after a few different opinions as to what would be a good way of finishing it. It is a reproduction antique with some reasonably intricate carving on both the chairs and pedestal and it is made of a reasonably light soft wood. I suppose the easy answer would be to spray on a varnish but I never seem to take the simple option.

To make things more interesting I would like to colour the wood a medium to dark red. I have built another table and the finish I used on it was organoil’s hard burnishing oil worked in with wet and dry, that I am very happy with. Can anybody suggest a way of finishing that can incorporate staining the wood, and a similar ability to feel the timber that can be applied to an uneven surface. Ideally it would be a finish that with time the raised edges will remain brighter form constant ware, while the valleys will darken to give it an aged feel.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I think you will find the darker valleys are a result of years of crud being waxed over, I've cleaned up a few old pieces that have been ceremoneously waxed on a weekly basis and there is always a little build up of dust, over a period of time, and this becomes evident when stripping back, there is laminations of dirt and wax.
    It's a fair bugger to clean out but can be done with stripper and pointy sticks, and a lot of time.
    As for a finish, I would probably go shellac and wax with regular cleans and polishes, the arms (sleeves, shirts jackets etc) will do the same and probably give you the finish you are seeking over a period of time.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Perhaps a visit to our forum host's website would be in order.

www.ubeaut.com.au

Order online and buy a copy of Neil's "Polisher's Handbook".

While you're there, get some Hard Shellac, Sanding Sealer, Traditional Wax, a Swansdown Mop and some EEE Polish. Maybe some Polish Reviver as well.

If you do all that, you can finish almost anything properly.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Gumby, there's no way Neil is going to give you a greenie, (or is that "brownie" ). It just wouldn't be proper!

HAH, he doesn't want just agreenie, he's after free product for his endoresments. Shame Gumby Shame!
    Boring signature time again!

Thanks for you replies so far.

Gumby

I have had a quick look at the link you gave me; it seems like good stuff, I will keep it in mind.

Iain

I have heard a little about, but not tried a finish like the one your suggesting. Will it allow me to stain the wood underneath the finish, and will you still be able to “feel” the wood. I particularly like oils and the finish they give, I remember a bar once that had groves where the “oldtimers” had been leaning in for who knows how long, and the constant polishing and oil (from their skin) produced a smooth finish that still had the feel of the grain. Is shellac and wax what is used to make a “French polish” finish to timber? Is it possible to use this while retaining the feel of the grain, I am trying to find an alternative to the smooth glossy finish of varnish, and what is the process of applying it?

I think that the darkening of the valleys and brightening of the peaks will occur as long as use a finish that “grows” with further applications as opposed to varnish which (from my experience) cracks with time.

Its often worth mucking around a bit

I'd experiment with a 1/3 Minwax Wipe on Poly 1/3 Boiled Linseed 1/3 Tung Oil Finish .................. If your really game you could also experiment with mixing shoe polish into some of U-Beauts Traditional wax after you've got a recipe of Oils you like.

This i'll give that medium to dark red look your after once you get onto a shoe polish you like the look of.

REGards Lou
    Just Do The Best You Can With What You HAve At The Time

Quote Originally Posted by TJH
    Thanks for you replies so far.

Gumby

I have had a quick look at the link you gave me; it seems like good stuff, I will keep it in mind.
    Mate, do a search on here for 'finishing' and you'll find many replies from lots of different forum members saying exactly the same thing. Do yourself a favour and check it out for real.

(Greeny now in order boys ? )
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

French Polish comprises of three components, shellac, 100% meths and wax, it is a special wax called elbow grease and the ratio is approx 1 part shellac to about thre parts meths and 200 parts elbow grease, possibly more.
    There are a couple of acceptable shortcuts and Neils bible will explain this in detail.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.