Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My advice for you Chris is make sure that you are comfortable working with this bloke. Remember that you will be spending a lot of time with him over the next few years so make sure you can stand it. There may also be some awkward moments where you could be in very tight situations too. Crawling around in roofs, holding the ladder looking up and seeing ............let you se that for yourself .

Good Luck and hope it works out!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

I'll just add one point about the low pay. Don't look on it as a low paid position, look on it as an investment in your future. The pay is low becuase you're not only being paid in $$. The real value is in the skills that you are acquiring and the trade which you will be able to make a good living from for the rest of your life. Way back when, a father would pay a master to take his son on as an apprentice, they knew the value of training back then (Just a hobby horse of mine)

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

gday mate

just remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question.
    all screwdrivers are left handed.
    striped paint can be made. start with an empty tin use cardboard deviders carefuley fill the compartments, when full gently remove the deviders. you will never get dead end jobs again particularly if the paint is on the bosses account.

also dont forget that while you may only be paid 9k in your first year if you were doing a degree you would be acruing a debt of at least 4k per year.

good luck mate a trade before a degree for me anyday.

shep

Mick, thats a damn good point.
    Chis - Lots of good advice has been given, so I'll just add that your concerns about being exploited should be addressed by doing to TAFE component.
    If you are passing that, then the work and study your boss is getting you to do is up to the mark. (Unless you don't care, are thick or lazy, or a combo of all three). If the TAFE subjects are about stuff you are not doing, just talk to the boss about it and find out what he thinks.

I looked into taking up an offer on an apprenticeship recently (as an adult) and in Vic the TAFE I was talking to really gets involved in making sure the apprentice is getting the correct experience.

At the end of the day you will be able to make up your own mind about this, particularly if you keep an eye on what other apprentice sparkies are doing. I wouldn't rush to any opinions, and remember that you will know where he lives.

Even if he is a bodgy, then if you can keep yourself up to speed then I think that it will still be an excellent investment. Just give it a crack and take it as it comes.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Quote Originally Posted by shep
    gday mate

also dont forget that while you may only be paid 9k in your first year if you were doing a degree you would be acruing a debt of at least 4k per year.
    ahahah yeah man.....some of my uni friends say that they wasting lots of money on textbooks train tickets, equipments and the hecs debt they get when get when they finish will be about 20k!. My science teacher told me back in yr10 this one kid left high school at the end of yr 10 , did an apprenticeship in plumbing for 4 yrs and started his own business....the kid own like 5 houses or something!.

hey

turns out i wont be starting my trial week tommorow but the following monday,damm another week at centrelink training.

give the ETU (electrical trade union) a call and sus out all the details about allowances etc, i know that on jobs over 8 stories its about an extra 25bucks a day, so since you are on bugger all it might help out.

good trade, just take it slow and dont rush in when the cables are live, you can not go wrong with running cables and beware of old buildings that may contain asbestos.

Dont start smoking just cause you work on a building site either....

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza
    .............Dont start smoking just cause you work on a building site either....
    or drinking, or spending all your money on loose cars and fast women, or was that fast cars and.....

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisApprentice
    ahahah yeah man.....some of my uni friends say that they wasting lots of money on textbooks train tickets, equipments and the hecs debt they get when get when they finish will be about 20k!. My science teacher told me back in yr10 this one kid left high school at the end of yr 10 , did an apprenticeship in plumbing for 4 yrs and started his own business....the kid own like 5 houses or something!.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing. If i could go back to when i left school i would move heaven and earth to get a plumbers apprenticeship. Work hard and save till your 40, retire and the skys the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    or drinking, or spending all your money on loose cars and fast women, or was that fast cars and.....

Mick
    Mick, i think you were trying to say "good beer and bad women"

Repeat after me..."Industry Super, Industry Super, Industry Super"

Chris, never lose track of your super (the government will eventually get it if you do) and as soon as you can spare the cash at least match the employer contribution (if he's liable to pay that is).
    I know some here might think I'm advocating putting the cart before the horse but I can't stress enough how important getting an early start in Super is. (the other is to start buying property as soon as you can).
    Forget mariage, cars, booze and gambling - at least until you're 50 or so.
    Work hard, save hard...retire early and do what the hell you want then.
    If some woman wants to marry you and asks for a prenup, give her the flick. Marry for love mate, not money, sex or kids. that all comes later.

Industry Super, Industry Super.

Cheers
    PS: I didn't start Super until I was 40 ish. As a result I don't have enough to retire on (though I am retired - SWMBOATT works for the moment) and will have to eventually live on the lousy starvation pension the rotten governments pay ex hardworking taxpayers and cannon fodder in the lucky country.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Post Super

Quote Originally Posted by Shedhand
    Repeat after me..."Industry Super, Industry Super, Industry Super"

Chris, never lose track of your super (the government will eventually get it if you do) and as soon as you can spare the cash at least match the employer contribution (if he's liable to pay that is).
    I know some here might think I'm advocating putting the cart before the horse but I can't stress enough how important getting an early start in Super is. (the other is to start buying property as soon as you can).
    Forget mariage, cars, booze and gambling - at least until you're 50 or so.
    Work hard, save hard...retire early and do what the hell you want then.
    If some woman wants to marry you and asks for a prenup, give her the flick. Marry for love mate, not money, sex or kids. that all comes later.

Industry Super, Industry Super.

Cheers
    PS: I didn't start Super until I was 40 ish. As a result I don't have enough to retire on (though I am retired - SWMBOATT works for the moment) and will have to eventually live on the lousy starvation pension the rotten governments pay ex hardworking taxpayers and cannon fodder in the lucky country.
    Chris

I will second all that Sheddy has said, and "reinforce" make it an Industry based fund and pay NO fees.

Hey Sheddy what does ATT (SWMBOATT)stand for.

Rob

Mate, I've read every word of advice given here, even the tongue-in-cheek bits - I agree with all and can add just two more suggestions:

1. Watch what's being done by the Tradies so you may anticipate what will be required next - have it ready before they ask; and
    2. Read this entire thread again, every day for a month.

#1 is not for brown-nosing but it help show you understand what's going on around you, and how the work proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by masoth
    Mate, I've read every word of advice given here, even the tongue-in-cheek bits - I agree with all and can add just two more suggestions:

#1 is not for brown-nosing but it help show you understand what's going on around you, and how the work proceeds.
    No way!!

This one of the most important parts of any job.

I have from time to time, brickies labourers helping me ( its a trade in itself).

My son is a good example, I dont have to call out for anything, he has anticipated my next move.
    Ie:_The scaffold is set and loaded ready to go, the mud boards are always full, bricks are always plentyfull.

When you get a bad offsider life is hell, beleive me.

Al

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

And of course you must be able to make a good cuppa tea or coffee
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.