Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question LN v's LV Service

I am a beginner woodie, and during the past couple of months have been getting together a collection of hand tools. I have bought some damn nice gear off LN, and have got gear coming from LV.

To cut a long story short, LV return email messages witin hours, most times only a few minutes. I sent a query about an order to LN 2 weeks ago now..... as yet no response, I find this most dissapointing as I really would like to do more business with them.

Am I missing something here?

I find it easier to do business with LV and probably will in the future.

I am interested in what others have found.
    Thanks
    Buzzer.

From what I've experienced LV really does set the standard in relation to customer service, and it appears that same attention to detail can be seen in the the products wearing their badge.
    They also seem pretty straightforward, if something is not top quality then they will say it and give the reason. For example they do offer a range of other manufacturers tools (i.e. chisels) to offer a high to low price/quality range. They don't b.s. you on it though, and they don't sell rubbish either.

Do you have their catalogue? If not then get them to slip it into your order, well worth it (unless you are trying to save money, not spend it ).
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Are you talking about LN in Oz, or LN in the US? I haven't dealt with either yet, but am considering picking up the odd LN chisel in the near future.

LV is of course the US operation, and I think that just about everyone here who has dealt with them (myself included) would rank their service as exceptional.

I've bought stuff directly from Lee Valley and from Lie-Nielsen Australia (over in SA). I've found both of them to have pretty good customer service but when comparing the two I would say Lee Valley's service is better. That is not to say that I've found Lie-Nielsen's service bad, its just not as good as the service provided from Lee Valley.

Buzzer,

I've always received fairly prompt replies to e-mails that I've sent to Lie-Nielsen. You might want to give them a call to expess your displeasure and chase up why they haven't got back to you.

Regards,
    Mirboo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brush
    Are you talking about LN in Oz, or LN in the US? I haven't dealt with either yet, but am considering picking up the odd LN chisel in the near future.

LV is of course the US operation, and I think that just about everyone here who has dealt with them (myself included) would rank their service as exceptional.
    LN in OZ, I haven't used Ln in USA.....................yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirboo
    I've bought stuff directly from Lee Valley and from Lie-Nielsen Australia (over in SA). I've found both of them to have pretty good customer service but when comparing the two I would say Lee Valley's service is better. That is not to say that I've found Lie-Nielsen's service bad, its just not as good as the service provided from Lee Valley.

Buzzer,

I've always received fairly prompt replies to e-mails that I've sent to Lie-Nielsen. You might want to give them a call to expess your displeasure and chase up why they haven't got back to you.

Regards,
    Mirboo.
    Thanks Mirboo,
    I will call in the morning and follow up.

I've always had excellent service from LN Australia.

Because it's coming from SA it gets here quicker than the LV stuff.
    Postage is cheaper too.

My emails have usually been answered within a day or so.

As has been said, give them a ring. I've found them to be very helpful over the 'phone.

Default Sacre bleu, m.Brush!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brush
    If you ever want to receive gear from LV again, edit that to say 'the Canadian operation":eek:
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

Quote Originally Posted by TassieKiwi
    If you ever want to receive gear from LV again, edit that to say 'the Canadian operation":eek:
    A lot of their stuff is dispatched from their US distribution centre.

mea culpa........LV Canada, of course ! I'll have to create a new user account before I place any more orders with Rob & Co.

Mind you, even our 'septic' friends tend to expect better service than we put up with here. I guess your average US consumer is just that bit more demanding (is that the same as pushy? ).

There seems to be an unwritten rule in the US that you can return stuff to the store for a refund even if you just 'changed your mind', i.e. when there is no defect whatsoever with the product. I visit a US Digital Camera web forum from time to time, and never cease to be amazed at the way people just buy a couple of different cameras, try them out for a bit, then simply return the ones they don't want to the store. The practice seems to be so widespread that the returned goods must be simply repackaged and sold as a new item to some other sucker - there is no way that so many goods could be sold as 'ex-demo'.

Consumer rights gone crazy......

LV have the best customer service of anyone, anywhere, period. However, LN are also an excellent organisation, your problem sounds unusual, try them again.

G'day Buzzer,

I think that it's fair to say that Lee Valley's service is at the very top of what might be humanly possible. They define the term "excellence" in customer service.

I would also say that, whilst the level of interaction is slightly less, my experiences to date with Lie Nielsen, both the Australian and U.S. operations, have been excellent.

I would have no hesitation whatever in dealing with either company again, and in fact intend to do so.

Ususal disclaimers inserted here.

Thumbs up

Hi Everyone,

LN (oz) and I are communicating again, And I am pleased to say, I look forward to doing business again, with many years of woodworking ahead of me.

Thanks for your opinions/input.

Cheers.
    Buzzer