Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

W.A.woodworking show dates to be August 15/16/17
    As this is getting near John where is it to be?

I think the one thing that I see could be a big problem with these shows is a lack of advertising... but then some people reckon Im wrong at times although I wont agree in writing and well I dont get the newspapers and rarely listen to the screech box so my access to hearing about these shows is limited to what others tell me either on sites or in person... hence I was led here by a mate who heard I was looking to buy a swag of tools else Id have been spending big at Timbercon by now as it is I will wait till after the show and probably still spend big at Timbercon unless the displays show something of better value / quality product.

Rightly said many shows {not just wood} do get a small turnout that can make it unviable for the displayers... until they get the right advertising promotion happening then it will often take of and make it all worthwhile... unfortunately as has been said the time taken for that to happen costs money and without a fair turnout sale profit the eastern staters wont come as its unviable to them to do so.

Perhaps some lateral thinking by the promoters in their provision of advertising and planning could come in handy... sad to say many promoters get "stuck in a rut" with the way they go about promoting an event and say when questioned about it "We have done it this {whatever} way for years and we will keep on doing it this way, why we are up by 100 people over last years event" and so fail to see a different avenue of promotion and getting the message to a wider range of potential visitors/buyers etc to these events {Ive actually seen this in other ventures and have watched as the promotors sent the whole thing down the dunny because they couldnt open their eyes to other avenues :mad:}... not saying these are done wrong necessarily but given the comments above about the low numbers and low spending of the visitors to the shows perhaps the promotors are being far too selective in their target audience... I guess what Im sayin in my rather long winded way is that if the promotors opened up their range of targets both display and audience perhaps it could grow rather than shrink and as in the case of the WWW stop completely?

A question if I may?... at these shows {I am yet to attend one by the way one failing of mine is that I tend to avoid crowds } do companies such as Woodmiser Lucas and other mill manufacturers distributers put on a display? do companies that use timber in their production display? {flooring companies for instance artisans utilizing different frames made using the tools or timber etc}

As I said Ive not been to one as yet but intend to go to this coming one... if for no other reason but to find out who and what is displayed and by whom and what they "show" by way of finished products and actually making things... so Im not detracting from them rather trying to see if perhaps its more a matter of the right or wrong promotional methods and or another opening that is liable to bring more people and therefore create more interest in the base line product that is being offered.

Oh John Im sorta wondering about this comment mate...
    Both described the shows as a selling forum with little regard to quality of product and the meaningless jargon proffered and little attention paid to demonstration of product.
    "With little regard to quality of product"? :eek: this by companies involved? ...I would have thought they would have promoted and pointed out the quality of their products rather than have "little regard" for it... or is this the public again who has little regard for the quality of product?
    And "the meaningless jargon proffered"? is that meaningless jargon used by their own staff at these events or by the "buying" public?

It would to me at least appear from the above comments by "a couple of the usual merchants that demonstrate and show their product" that they themselves need a quantum shift in attitude to the shows and their own attitudes to the promotion of their product... Or am I reading what you wrote from the wrong angle?

So saying I do agree with the comments about the two shows being prohibitive if the financial "cash over the counter" results unviable or prohibitive to them... but if however its their own attitudes as I read your comments then they themselves may need to sit back and review their attitudes and overall commitment to their business or product.

Anyway perhaps Im on the other track here... the promotional materials and targets could be dead on right just that very few within the community here in West Aus are interested which I dont believe for a second...

but I wont admit to being wrong!!! ...but I will admit that I was just a tad "long winded" there
    Last edited by Wild Dingo; 21st July 2003 at 11:25 PM.
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Originally posted by Wild Dingo
    but I wont admit to being wrong!!! ...but I will admit that I was just a tad "long winded" there
    Geez Shane, I'll admit when I'm wrong, every time, why I remember back in '93..........

Originally posted by journeyman Mick
    Geez Shane, I'll admit when I'm wrong, every time, why I remember back in '93..........
    93?? Im tryin to remember back to the last time I thought I may have been wrong sometime in the 60s or 70s I think but I could be on the wrong track there too I mean it coulda been me brother... that was it!! it wasnt me!!

Last edited by Shane Watson; 22nd July 2003 at 08:12 PM.
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

My apologies Shane, in not mentioning the locale but its at the Claremont Showgrounds with heaps of free parking all day every day.
    As there is just the one show this year there may well be more contributors offering up a wider aspect across the medium.
    As is usual there a lot of demo's going on so you need to pace yourself for the day to try and glean as much in one day as possible particularly if only up there for the one day.
    I've already seen it advertised in fact it was last Sundays Sunday Times.

www.trueblue-exhibitions.com.au

Hopefully the above url will give you more details

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Thanks John! See told yer I dont read the rags!!

Will get up there at least once and will try for twice first to look see the second to BUY!!!