Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question White Spirit V Metho

Hi all,
    I've searched the forums and can't find a clear answers to the following:

Is White Spirit as sold in Australia the same as Metholated Spirits and what is 100% Metholated Spirits. I buy a generic brand 4 litre plastic bottle of Metholated Spirits for my French Polish;

and;

Is Orange shellac flakes best for french polish. My grandfather and father used this but I'm intrigued by the phrase white shellac. Is this from albino shellac bugs:eek: ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

ps: I'm gonna buy Neil's book.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Howdy mate...

I don't feel up to answering the first part, but 100% metho is just that. Most of the metho you see will have 95% in very small print on the label. (The rest is water). !00% is packaged by Sceney's in Victoria, sold here at 'Paint Right' and other local stores. Neil may be able to supply some, must check the website.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Shedhand
    Hi all,
    I've searched the forums and can't find a clear answers to the following:

Is White Spirit as sold in Australia the same as Metholated Spirits and what is 100% Metholated Spirits. I buy a generic brand 4 litre plastic bottle of Metholated Spirits for my French Polish;

and;

Is Orange shellac flakes best for french polish. My grandfather and father used this but I'm intrigued by the phrase white shellac. Is this from albino shellac bugs:eek: ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

ps: I'm gonna buy Neil's book.
    Hi Shedhand

Goto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylated_spirit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/parafin

These two links should answer your questions.

Robert34

White spirit is also known as white gas, shellite, mobilite or coleman fuel. It is a solvent but definitely NOT metho.

Thumbs up

Thanx all.

Default Metho

Well, you wouldn't bloody believe it. I finally tracked down some Industrial Methylated Spirits (IMS) and bought 5 x 1 litre bottles. It got from Melbourne to as far as Campania (small town just west of Richmond in country Tas) where the Seppo owned train derailed. I kid you not. These mongrels bought the Tasrail for a song and then refused to spend anything on maintenance. Bloody Seppo's. :mad::mad: I want my IMS.:mad::mad:

Missed this when originally posted - For starters many things have different names or the names mean something entirely different here in OZ. White Spirits is basically USA speak for Mineral Turpentine. Slightly different formula but not by much, both share the same UN number. Mineral Turpentine is also known in Australia as Turpentine Substitute and Petropine, but the common name is Mineral Turpentine or turps. It is usually only marketed under the other names in bulk, to industry.

Don't believe everything in Wikipedia The Methylated Spirits bit is referring to UK and Ireland NOT AUSTRALIA where things can be a lot different.

100% IMS (Industrial Methylated Spirits) ETHANOL is 99.9% pure ethanol alcohol and .1% denaturant to make it unpalatable. There is no water in it.

Ordinary everyday Metho also called 95% and has up to 10% additives (as per Wikipedia) to denature it PLUS anywhere from 10% to as much as 40% water (sometimes even more) Don't believe the MSDS's, Many substitute water for alcohol in much greater rates than on their MSDS, water is much cheaper than ethanol and helps boost your profitability somewhat.

Had a case reported from Carba Tec Sydney last week where a customer purchased some cheap metho to thin his French Polish with and it went a white and milky colour indicating an extremely high proportion of water.

As a rule neither 95% or 100% Meths have colouring put in them in Australia. Never use coloured stuff for shellac.

Shellac - button, brown, white, blond, ultra blond etc is all shellac from the same source it is just refined in differing degrees. White that we supply is dewaxed white (bleached) shellac and is the highest refined shellac available. All shellacs can be used for French polishing. However, brown is the traditional French Polish and is the one that imparts the deep rich honey colouring to most antiques. The dewaxed white won't change the colour of timber any more than wetting it down with water. So if you want to keep white wood as light and bright as possible then the white is the answer and to a degree is about the only finish that will not discolour the timber including oils.

Shedhand Bad luck about the pathetic delivery service. Email or pm me your address and I will send you a 5 litre of 100% IMS as a gift from U-Beaut. You will have to pay freight and dangerous goods surcharge but not for the Meths. We use reliable 12st century freight methods. If the truck runs off the road en route then you had better forget French polishing with the good stuff as you will have had 2 signs that you aren't supposed to be doing it.

Cheers - Neil

PS this is a once of NOT TO BE REPEATED OFFER for shedhand only. So the rest of you DON'T EVEN BOTHER ASKING.

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut
    PS this is a once of NOT TO BE REPEATED OFFER for shedhand only. So the rest of you DON'T EVEN BOTHER ASKING.
    Too right, youd have all them mongrels after a hand out Neil.

BTW, shedhand is staying with me for a while, PM me for my address.

Al

Shedhand Bad luck about the pathetic delivery service. Email or pm me your address and I will send you a 5 litre of 100% IMS as a gift from U-Beaut. You will have to pay freight and dangerous goods surcharge but not for the Meths. We use reliable 12st century freight methods. If the truck runs off the road en route then you had better forget French polishing with the good stuff as you will have had 2 signs that you aren't supposed to be doing it.

Cheers - Neil
    "12th Century freight methods" - oxen and cart?

My address is 22 Spamster St, Balwyn N, Vic. Please send to me right away - Shedhand.

Thumbs up Wow

Missed this when originally posted - For starters many things have different names or the names mean something entirely different here in OZ. White Spirits is basically USA speak for Mineral Turpentine. Slightly different formula but not by much, both share the same UN number. Mineral Turpentine is also known in Australia as Turpentine Substitute and Petropine, but the common name is Mineral Turpentine or turps. It is usually only marketed under the other names in bulk, to industry.

Don't believe everything in Wikipedia The Methylated Spirits bit is referring to UK and Ireland NOT AUSTRALIA where things can be a lot different.

100% IMS (Industrial Methylated Spirits) ETHANOL is 99.9% pure ethanol alcohol and .1% denaturant to make it unpalatable. There is no water in it.

Ordinary everyday Metho also called 95% and has up to 10% additives (as per Wikipedia) to denature it PLUS anywhere from 10% to as much as 40% water (sometimes even more) Don't believe the MSDS's, Many substitute water for alcohol in much greater rates than on their MSDS, water is much cheaper than ethanol and helps boost your profitability somewhat.

Had a case reported from Carba Tec Sydney last week where a customer purchased some cheap metho to thin his French Polish with and it went a white and milky colour indicating an extremely high proportion of water.

As a rule neither 95% or 100% Meths have colouring put in them in Australia. Never use coloured stuff for shellac.

Shellac - button, brown, white, blond, ultra blond etc is all shellac from the same source it is just refined in differing degrees. White that we supply is dewaxed white (bleached) shellac and is the highest refined shellac available. All shellacs can be used for French polishing. However, brown is the traditional French Polish and is the one that imparts the deep rich honey colouring to most antiques. The dewaxed white won't change the colour of timber any more than wetting it down with water. So if you want to keep white wood as light and bright as possible then the white is the answer and to a degree is about the only finish that will not discolour the timber including oils.

Cheers - Neil

Crikey, what can I say?
    Thanks very much Neil. You should make a take over offer to Triton .
    I've PM'd you but wanted to acknowledge your generosity publically.
    a big fat super greenie for you. (though as admin you can give yourself as many as you want i s'pose )
    Cheers
    Mike

Default 12th CenturyTas Rail

Quote Originally Posted by DPB
    "12th Century freight methods" - oxen and cart?

My address is 22 Spamster St, Balwyn N, Vic. Please send to me right away - Shedhand.
    Mate, Oxen and cart is about the standard of Tas Rail.:mad:

Another difference between white spirit and metho

You would look like a goose if you bowed down and chanted "Oh Great Metho"

Whereas "Oh Great White Spirit" sounds perfectly acceptable.