Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'll put my vote in for the oils... well, their earlier stuff at least.

You can't judge their songs based on the lead singer's dancing skills however

Who's the velvet underground fan? I didn't think anyone else on the planet knew of them
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Lignum
    I remember the masive amounts of steam comming of Garretts head.
    That's because the fool's head is full of sh*t...

How did Midnoight Soils and the talentless Cold Chisel and the raving, screaming loser Jim Barnes get in the list. And Jennifer Warne:confused: I thought her name was Simone:confused: and she can't dance.
    If we weren't such a Seppocentric country we would have seen Harry Manx, k.d. lang, Genesis and a swag of other equally great musicians represented.

Having said all that and ignoring the bald twit with the head of steaming sh*t and the screaming twit who can't sing for nuts the list looks pretty good to me and I have a lot of them come to think of it.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

And I'm surprised no one brought up the Doors!?
    Shedhand, I did mention kd and Harry in ss's thread, but only as an afterthought! It is a good list though

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Default Oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilssss......... .

Ahhhh the Oils......love 'em!

Yes - I agree that sometimes they were a little too political. I think they did a good thing by using their influence to highlight some issues. There are too many bands these days who would prefer to just take the money and run. The Oils were a band with a conscience, but on occasions possibly overstepped the mark.

Peter Garrett's dancing was 'unique'. It never really transferred well on to video clips, it just seemed to lack some intensity. But if you were lucky enough to have attended an Oils gig for some reason he never looked out of place. When one thinks about it, one would struggle to think of a better way to dance to Midnight Oil's music. Or at least I would.

The Oils were huge in USA and Europe in the late '80s and even into the early '90s circa Diesel & Dust and Blue Sky Mining. But they shot themselves in the foot by releasing a song called Truganini which people of other nationalities decided was too hard to pronounce and the Oils wouldn't change it. On the Oils last US tour they were promoting a song called Luritja Way. That didn't go down too well.....

They seemed to go off the boil a bit in the '90s, with a few good songs but also a fair few album 'fillers'. Some great ballads on those albums though - I think they were showing their age.

Disappointing when they split and I was surprised that Garrett joined the Labour Party. I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if he joined The Greens, but a major political party???:confused: Not his style.

I was unfortunate to have been too young to see the Oils in their pub-band hey-day of the early '80s, but I was fortunate enough to see their last gig at Wave Aid last year, but even more priveleged to have been in the front row of their 'secret' gig the previous night at Manly Leagues Club. Very intense concert which saw me walk away with one of Rob Hirst's drumsticks as a special piece of memorabilia for myself.

(sigh)
    Retired member

Andy Yes you did mention KD, Harry and others mentioned different bands and singers, but no album title was mentioned so i didnt put them on the list. And Felder, the Oils live equaled any overseas act i have seen. Rolling Stone mag said they would be the new Stones, but Pine Gap Head was reluctant to take that path as he wanted to stay smaller and have more of a political message, and from what i gather that was a great source of tension with Rob Hurst. They lost their way in the 90`s and i lost interest in them. The only other Aussie band to rival the Oils live was the Divinyls, seen them a few times and boy did they rock, Chrissy Amphlet was sensational live, not to mention rather horny in that little school girl uniform