Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How to power ceramic socket 100watt globe, through thermostat!?

Hello everyone, I need some wiring help building my reptile enclosure!
    I'm going to use a 100watt heat globe (ceramic socket), to be connected to a IMIT3 Thermostat.

Here is the thermostat - http://www.herpshop.com.au/pictures/...stat_IMIT3.jpg

Here is the heat globe http://www.pawsuppetsupply.com/prod_...otLamp1001.jpg

Here is the Ceramic socket i need http://i22.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/59/81/ea_1_b.JPG
    I'm not quite sure where to get this ceramic socket from? I tried bunnings but no luck, it cant be plastic because it will melt in the heat. Anyone know where i can pick this up !?

Okay well I need the ceramic socket + and - wired to the thermostat im guessing right..? Should i use 12guage electrical cable for this?

I havent recieved the thermostat or globe yet, its on order, im not sure how to power this up, do I rip out an extension lead and connect the (+ and -) wires to the ceramic socket? I still need to connect the globe to the thermostat, so it will switch my globe off, when heat exceeds 26C!

Hope someone can help me here, it's not too hard a job i guess, but its hard for me!! Thanks

Bulb looks like an Edison screw.
    A number of lamp holders use this type of ceramic socket and I have some here.

As you need to ask how, I would recommend you get an electrician to wire up the system for you.
    It would be a shame to cook the reptiles.

yep its an edison screw socket, where can i buy these...required for 100watt globes? i need a ceramic ES socket..bunnings dont have em..would dick smith electronics sell these? I dont really want to call an electricion for this...i wont be playing with live wires so im fine in that part, if it was from the wall..then yeah..

Can i buy an extension lead...and cut one end of the cord off..then power the colours to the back of my ES socket?
    Then plug the other end in the wall
    would this power my 100watt globe?

Sockets should be available from any good electrical supplier.
    The thermostat should be wired in series with the globe.

The reason I recommend a sparky is that the environment in a reptile house can be environmentally unfriendly to electronics. (Moisture etc)

Great care should be taken to prevent you becoming a glowing statistic. :eek:

As a very minimum use an RCD (Earth leakage detector) plugin for the extension lead.

Try your yellow pages under " electric lamps globes and tubes" in your area they should also sell ceramic fittings make a phone call first to check.

But take davids advice get a lecco to wire it up it may seem simple but electricity kills real quick, and doesn't take prisoners.

Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

okay thanks, well i found an electrical supplier 2minutes from me, Rexel Australia http://www.rexel.com.au/ Hopefully they have an ES Ceramic fixture there.

Thanks for you're help, but whats a rough estimate on the cost for an Electrician to do this? $100?

Connecting globe to thermostat with power!?