Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default With what do I moisten dried up wax with.

Stupid question I spose.

But I have this annoying habit of leaving lids off my Ubeaut Traditional wax (Your just the bee knees Ubeaut ! ).....

Do it a lot, and it drys up. Really should be nice and moist to be any good.....I just use it mostly for greasing up my plane fences.

What solvent should I mix into these dry pots ?.....metho, turps, ??? ...Or is it really too late. Should I just toss them out.

hmmmmm, I would say any solvent would turn it back into a soft wax, something preferably without water added.
    But then again I have no idea if it would work!

Turps is the solvent for wax. Dunno if it can restore a dried up tubful (is that a word?) but that's the stuff, anyhow. Not metho. Not water. Not vodka.

Turps.

regards,
    Rusty.
    The perfect is the enemy of the good.

The web site says... Brushes wash clean in turpentine I guess that should give a clue.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Mineral turpentine - If you're game put the tub of dried up stuff in the microwave and give it a blast for 5 - 10 seconds check if it is softening if not blast it again in 5 second bursts until it begins to melt. Take it from microwave and stir it until liquid then add a little turps no more than 20% and stir it in until it begins to thicken slightly.

If you don't have a microwave you can melt it by putting the tub in hot water. In both instances be careful not to over heat the wax as you might melt the plastic container.

Cheers - Neil

PS Waxes like traditional wax work best when they are hard. We only make them soft and pliable because most people have no idea how to use a wax correctly. They want it to be quick and easy to work with like Mr Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut
    Mineral turpentine - If you're game put the tub of dried up stuff in the microwave and give it a blast for 5 - 10 seconds check if it is softening if not blast it again in 5 second bursts until it begins to melt. Take it from microwave and stir it until liquid then add a little turps no more than 20% and stir it in until it begins to thicken slightly.

If you don't have a microwave you can melt it by putting the tub in hot water. In both instances be careful not to over heat the wax as you might melt the plastic container.

Cheers - Neil

PS Waxes like traditional wax work best when they are hard. We only make them soft and pliable because most people have no idea how to use a wax correctly. They want it to be quick and easy to work with like Mr Sheen
    Mr Sheen ! loves the jobs you hate ! .....

Ta Neil,,,,heat it up and a little turps. appreciate the post. Thanks.