Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Building a cubby

Hi All,

I am in the planning stage of building a cubby house and was after some advice. The cubby will be painted to match the colour scheme of our house, so I was thinking about using Hardiplank or similar fibre cement cladding. Is this a suitable cladding for a cubby house, or can someone offer an alternative?

My second question is how to anchor it to the ground. Is it necessary to concrete posts into the ground, or will it be sufficient to sit it on a level bed of crushed rock?

Thanks for any help.

I think Hardiplank or similar would be fine. You might also look at the Hardies shingled cladding if you like that look. Can be cute in a kids cubby. It might be worth scrounging around building sites because you might find enough offcuts of something to do the job.

Re. foundations, I'd prefer to have posts concreted into the ground because the thing could blow away in a big wind if it's not tied down.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

I hope this post is useful for you. Please excuse the sub-standard brickwork.

My cubby house

Thanks for replies. Wongo your cubby looks excellent. What are the dimensions of the cubby? Also how did you anchor the cubby to the brick piers?

It is about 3m(L) X 2m(W) X 2.3m(H) and no, it is free standing on the bricks

it is free standing on the bricks
    In breach of building standards for tie down Have you had the final inspection yet, Wongo?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Thanks guys. Those dimensions are around what I was hoping to build.