Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rusty Tools..?

Molasses works a treat, BUT it stinks something awful! I usually mix it with water about 1 part molasses 2 parts water. Immerse rusty object in mix, hanging on a wire hook to save reaching into the evil smelling gunk. Check every day to start with till you get the hang of how fast your mix works on your amount of rust, it can take weeks. Of course the molasses is slowly fermenting during this time, mind you in colder climes this is probably greatly reduced but in colder climes you probably don't have 4 sugar mills within an hours drive.

Mick

Well thanks for the tip Mick,
    but I think I'll give the mollassas the flick.
    I think we've moved on a bit since this style
    was in vogue, but it might be good to move any unwanted folks from the shed!!!

Lightbulb rusty tools

other methods i have come across is in australian wood review vol.40. They inc ideas on mechanical methods (grinding,sandblasting etc) Chemical (as most of the replies above) and electrolysis which involves 12 volt battery charger,plastic container,washing soda and water.in the magazine this looks like the friendliest way to remove rust

Thumbs up makes me hungry for more....

Hi all,

Get this, our laborotory at mitsi has used M.S.G. to de-rust components in the past!

I see why the chinese use it so much, must be good for you.
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein

Back to the serious art of rust removal.

The idea is to convert the rust back to the parent metal not remove it.

Restoring old tools and such is best done by electrolysis.

Rust removal using the Pure Magic (PFM) of electricity is described in detail on http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/rust.htm
    Good Stuff.

The term "PFM" refers to electricity and is in general use in the metalworking fraternity.

Glenn
    In Jus Voco Spurius
    http://www.metalbashatorium.com

OR:

Get a copy of issue 40 of the Aus Wood Review. Has instructions on how to make your own electrolysis machine using a car battery charger. Looks like a cheap and effective means.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Good article, comprehensive and even give enviro friendly options like lemon juice etc... HAVE A LOOK-SEE!
    If its got big teeth it eats meat, That includes power saws.

Stinky is currently in the process of testing the electrolysis method. I have a few old rustly pliers and spanners that I am trying it out on. I will have the results in a day or two .... I will post a new listing about my findings, with photos, later in the week for those that are interested.

Stinky.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

have just tried to use the vinegar method as well as the oxalic acid method.

vinegar method was average, removed slight rust but didnt penetrate that well. oxalic acid worked an absolute treat (restored a decrepid old disston tenon saw back to its former glory) and would recommend it to anyone. however after i had rinsed it in water small surface rust appeared almost instantly. i stopped it by applying some oil but since it was my first time i was very surprised at how well it worked.

any tips to help that rust from reforming?

An aquaintance of mine who is into restoring old steam engines and the like, uses neat molasses. He buys the stuff in 44 gallon drums (or the metric equivalent) from the local stock-feed store. (Farmers use it to help prevent bloat in cattle), and pours it into a great big open top tank. Lowers bloody grest fly wheels and other bits into it with a block and tackle. He leaves them for several days, hauls them out again and steam cleans them. Come up like new. A remarkable transformation.
    Just thought you would like to know!
    Jack the Lad.