Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Chisel Piccies

Default Chisel Piccies

Handle - Jarrah, old verandah post, copper water pipe ferrule, finished with Organoil. Cutting end honed to 6000 waterstone and steel protected with Silverglide
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Nice work Bodgy. Is it a skew chisel? Have you used it in earnest?

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Andy, it is meant as a mortice chisel, hence the depth of the blade. Wont ever probably be belted hard but will be levered. Discovered I needed one this thin when fitting a piece of angle iron into a timber bed to support my new router lifter for the router table, Sawed out most of the waste but couldn't clean out the corners. Now I can.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Bodgy,
    Gotcha now, my thoughts were skew with the flat one direction; or a mortice, flat the other! How does it rate, any weakness around the neck? As you say, should be OK without encouraging it with a mallet!

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Used it today, worked fine, even kept an edge. I was thinking of maybe putting another copper ferrule around the blunt end (I have some 3/4 water pipe), then I could hit it with a mallet. Its only mild steel, and I only hardened the 15mm tip of the blade, si whilst it may bend it wont snap.

Andy, you probably know this. If I buy HSS blanks, are they already hardened? I dont fancy grinding, filing and shaping quality hardened steel! Or do they come un-tempered then you harden when the tool is shaped?

Are McJing blanks any good? Nice guys, but I bought their cabinet scrapers and they just wont hold an edge. Really - I mean 5 minutes use between re-square and burring!
    Bodgy