Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Peter Roebuck is a hypocrite

Last Friday, Peter Roebuck wrote in his SMH column that Lee should be dropped from the limited overs side because he bowls the occasional beamer under pressure and he could wind up in court on assault or manslaughter charges. Today, Brett Lee is "not merely an outstanding fast bowler but also one of the best cricketers around" and he has him picked for his preferred team (dropping Gilly and Katich).

Attack of the guilts? Someone had a word to him?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

The wonderful thing about many journalists is they are strident about their opinions but they have to allways be right. So they just go from one extreme to the other. The stunning thing is they get away with it.

Bret Lee has been having a pretty good summer I thought. He used to be all right up or short but is now making good use of a good length and working the ball. Everyone new that though. I think he lost a couple early in the summer that went through as real bean balls but he apologised to the batsman straight away.

Anyway that is how that journalist makes his money not much you can do except not read him

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Last Friday, Peter Roebuck wrote in his SMH column that Lee should be dropped from the limited overs side because he bowls the occasional beamer under pressure and he could wind up in court on assault or manslaughter charges. Today, Brett Lee is "not merely an outstanding fast bowler but also one of the best cricketers around" and he has him picked for his preferred team (dropping Gilly and Katich).

Attack of the guilts? Someone had a word to him?
    Yes I noticed that too. Talk about a rapid about face.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentC
    Peter Roebuck is a hypocrite
    Don't tell me you just worked this out.

Mr Roebuck is in tha meeja, which by definition means he has to make outlandish statements only to make a backflip at the first possible chance so his opinions are always correct.
    Boring signature time again!

I thought it was a bit peculiar because he usually doesn't worry too much about what he says or who he might upset and seems happy enough as long as he is bagging Australia.

Hate to say it but he might be right about Gilly. Could be time to bring in Haddin for the one dayers and keep Gilly for the tests.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Could be time to bring in Haddin for the one dayers and keep Gilly for the tests.
    Hear hear!

Quote Originally Posted by craigb
    Hear hear!
    Yep, Gilly seems getting close to his use by date. Dropped a pretty straighforward catch last night to add to his Golden Quacker.

Problem is that he advises Ponting on the field, along with Warne if present. I think, whilst a brilliant batsman, Ponting's a pretty poor Captain. Without Gilly or Warne he'd be lost.

Pity about Peter Roebuck, I always thought he was one of the better cricket spruikers.

Anyway, not one of the lot come close to Skull, who I beleive should replace Richie when his embalming is complete. Bring back Max Walker and we should have some good commentary.

Has anyone elso noticed that Ian Chappel is about as thick as two short planks? Usually have the ABC commentary on, but last night had a bit of 9's. I don't think Chapelli could walk and chew gum, concurrently.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Roebuck started out as a terrific comentator / jurno but as the years have rolled on his head has swelled to gigantic proportions. i did like his comment on Crusty being as "good a starter as pea soup" but his lee comments were on the nose. best one day bowler easy, but i still have resavations with his test bowling. i cant see him as our number 1 strike bowler as he dosnt have the ability of cleaning up the tail like all the great bowlers can. and Gilly`s time is unfortunatly up, even his test spot should be looked at. he is a batsman who keeps ok. so you cant keep him just for his keeping... roll on the ashes
    Blowin in the Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy
    Anyway, not one of the lot come close to Skull,
    The skull should never never be alowed to comentate on test cricket, he has dragged ABC test cricket comentry down the gurglar. Test cricket is serious business and to hear him have what sounds like an asthma attack while laughing at his own jokes just isnt cricket... keep him for the one dayers, he is great their. ever since tim lane left, the abc has gone down hill. what would the ghosts of Mcgilvray and Arlott think about skull:eek:
    Blowin in the Wind

Lee is getting better with line and length - he's probably growing up from the old attitude of bowling as fast as he can. I can't imagine him taking over from McGrath though - not yet. When he gets frustrated, he starts doing silly things like that last beamer (when was that? One of the SA tests wasn't it?).