Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Monaro in UK

Default Monaro in UK

Have just been watching a show on SBS called "Top Gear", where they did a quick review of the UK version of the Holden Monaro. I found some of the comments about "cars made by convicts" very interesting.

1. "This beast is doing 60mph and the motor is only doing just under 1500 rpm, barely more than idling. That fat Aussie bludger!"
    2. "Prime example of barndoor simpleton engineering":eek:

Least they like it, I think?:confused:

Last one " If you want balls on a budget, this is it!"

Nice to find out what the poms think of us!!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Trashed the fit and finish though.

They just had a vote between the Monaro (Aussie), a Jaguar (pommie) and a Chrysler (yanks) and the winner was the Monaro.

Shows that convicts can do something right after all!!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

They looked like they had fun testing them.

It's no wonder why the U.S. car manufacturers are all going bust. They build crap cars.
    Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Butcher
    1. "This beast is doing 60mph and the motor is only doing just under 1500 rpm, barely more than idling. That fat Aussie bludger!"
    I drove a mate's homologation special to Brisbane from the Gold Coast a few years ago, in the wet.

6 speed gearbox, lots of KW, 125km/h , 1750 rpm.

IN SECOND GEAR :eek: :eek: :eek:

I never did find out what the other gears were for.

Agree with all the other comments though.

He now has a HotRod RS6 Audi. 0-100 in 3.9 seconds, and a solar panel in the sun roof to run a fan which exhausts hot air if he parks it in the sun.

Hmmmmmmm.

P

They just cant afford to put petrol in the Monaro over there
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

When was the last time you saw a pommy car with all electrics that worked?
    The RangeRover, one model, never made it here, the back door was too high for some short asres to reach so they designed a rear hinge that swung the door up then in, only problem was that if it was raining all the water in the recessed window went down the back seat passengers necks.
    The Triumph Stag, nice looker but what a crap engine, continually snapped cranks.
    Landrovers with a propensity for snapping axles.
    Who ever tried to change a fan belt on a mini??
    Jaguar MkX (Ithink) rusty fuel tanks as the fillers where on top and the water always got in.
    Anyway, Jaguar is Ford now, and isn't that obvious when you sit behind a Falcon, oops, sorry, just saw the Jaguar badge.
    Bloody convict cars indeed, it's criminal what crap they make and try to sell to us.
    I got my licence in a Vauxhall Viva, another piece of rubbish, anyone over 4'9" is too tall.
    Even the army had trouble getting it right, who in their right mind would put petrol engines in tanks.
    I found the best thing to come out of the UK, apart from me , is the regular flights.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Is it true the Monaro's won't be continued? They sound pretty good, if you're a petrol head.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    I found the best thing to come out of the UK, apart from me , is the regular flights.
    I always heard that the best thing to come out of England was the road to Scotland

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac
    Is it true the Monaro's won't be continued?
    Yes, its true. Sort of:confused::confused:

Holden are no longer selling the Monaro here to try and retain the perception of a prestige collectors vehicle ?!? But they are still sending them overseas rebadged as vauxhall in UK and as the Pontiac GTO in the USA.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Wasn't a bad little show - nothing on Mythbusters mind you, but it will do inbetween seasons.

I tell you that poor monaro - and the others - won't be worth much after the beach run though, salt, sand, moving engine parts, bad combo if you ask me
    Would have liked to see the chrysler without the traction control, I reckon it would have put out some grunt especially at that price!
    Cheerio.
    Shannon

Fat people are hard to kidnap

Freecycle.org check it out - recycle it
    instead of landfilling it

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    When was the last time you saw a pommy car with all electrics that worked?
    The RangeRover, one model, never made it here, the back door was too high for some short asres to reach so they designed a rear hinge that swung the door up then in, only problem was that if it was raining all the water in the recessed window went down the back seat passengers necks.
    The Triumph Stag, nice looker but what a crap engine, continually snapped cranks.
    Landrovers with a propensity for snapping axles.
    Who ever tried to change a fan belt on a mini??
    Jaguar MkX (Ithink) rusty fuel tanks as the fillers where on top and the water always got in.
    Anyway, Jaguar is Ford now, and isn't that obvious when you sit behind a Falcon, oops, sorry, just saw the Jaguar badge.
    Bloody convict cars indeed, it's criminal what crap they make and try to sell to us.
    I got my licence in a Vauxhall Viva, another piece of rubbish, anyone over 4'9" is too tall.
    Even the army had trouble getting it right, who in their right mind would put petrol engines in tanks.
    They do make quite good TV shows tho! Some nice woodwork tools as well...still. And lets not forget the cricketers they ahve made some good ones lately . I'd still rather have a Jag! Unfortunately I can only afford a non-Jag Ford
    Cheers from NZ

Richard

Same Cricketers that did so well in Pakistan after a home series on doctored pitches?

Don't worry the Poms are still a long way from Cricket elite. Hmmm an old Jag yes, new Monaro yes, why not have both? Can only afford a VX Calais though.

Quote Originally Posted by bennylaird
    Same Cricketers that did so well in Pakistan after a home series on doctored pitches?

Don't worry the Poms are still a long way from Cricket elite. Hmmm an old Jag yes, new Monaro yes, why not have both? Can only afford a VX Calais though.
    Doctored pitches:eek: ? You mean Pakistan don't you. New Jag yes, old Monaro, yes, well, maybe, but I haven't got anywhere to put em anyway, the shed is full (but not full enough) of tools .
    Cheers from NZ

Richard

LOL we all doctor our pitches, only fair thing to do. Cricket has is much better for the improvement of the competition. Your mob are improving to, must be those nice Marlborough Sav Blancs, your on top of the world with those.

Spent a lot of time training your crews of Te Mana and Te Kaha, Aussies and Kiwi's always joke about each other but we are from the same kettle, lol.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Have to concede on the TV shows, old movies, James Bond movies, Scotch, but never the beer or Camp Coffee, if it's still around.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.