Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

No different to the media in general on a worldwide basis, they have their standards to belittle themselves to.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by 46150
    Bring back the White Australia Policy.......Enoch Powell ,RIP.
    Errr....were not all the people in the riot "white" in the terms of that ridiculous piece of garbage????

P

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I was just wondering if we can put the mob on survivor island for a stretch

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    Errr....were not all the people in the riot "white" in the terms of that ridiculous piece of garbage????

P

:confused: :confused: :confused:

To quote Pauline "please explain "
    uhm , where am I ?

Quote Originally Posted by rick_rine
    To quote Pauline "please explain "
    The white Australia Policy was intended to keep out the yellow peril; the hoardes from Asia, and our Lebanese friends were among those who were encouraged to settle here.

While the White Australia policy may have embraced a primitive belief in Arthur Caldwell’s words that ‘two Wongs don’t make a White’, it was essentially based on a legitimate fear by the Australian working classes that hard-won living standards would be jeopardised by massive immigration from Asian countries with vastly lower standards overall.
    No Asians involved on the weekend as far as I have heard, and whether we like it or not, (and I do) we are an Asian nation, or were last time I looked at an atlas.

European immigration on the other hand, was encouraged as a way of making up the population base with appropriately coloured people.

And as for Enoch Powell:
    Powell was noted for his oratorical skills, and for being a maverick who cared little about what harm he did to his party - or himself. On Saturday April 20th 1968 he made a controversial speech in Birmingham, in which he warned his audience of what he believed would be the consequences of continued unchecked immigration from the Commonwealth to Britain. Because of its allusion to Virgil saying that the Tiber would foam with blood, Powell's warning was christened the 'Rivers of Blood' speech by the press, and the name stuck.
    One feature of the speech was the extensive quotation of a letter Powell had received detailing the experiences of one of his constituents in Wolverhampton, an elderly woman who was supposedly the last white person living in her street. She had repeatedly refused applications from non-whites requiring rooms-to-let, which resulted in her being called a racist outside her home and receiving excreta through her letterbox. Despite combing the electoral register and other sources, the editor of the local newspaper Clem Jones (a close friend of Powell's, who broke off relations with him over the controversy) and his journalists failed to identify the woman. It is alleged that the National Front fed Powell with black propaganda, which he failed to recognize as such, although it has also been claimed that the woman actually lived in Nottingham. The speech was delivered while the 1968 Race Relations Bill (later Act) was making its way through parliament, which was to make the colour bar in housing illegal.
    I'd be pleased to back up my garbage statement further if required!!

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ward
    I agree the media had much to do with yesterday, but the problem has existed for years.
    The tribal history of beaches in Sydney is ongoing. The 'westies' were the enemies of the surfies in the past, so little has changed.

When the Chinese, Greeks and Italians first ventured here, they were reviled and killed in some cases.

The real problem is the 'fear of the other' which can only be addressed through education and social mixing, best done at school with the children as first generations are too stuck in their ways. This should be a state aim, but the increased prevalance of single religous based schools will sadly make integration even more problematic.

The media loves the beat-up and ferments this, with the ABC being just as bad as the others, perhaps worse as they pretend to be 'for all Australians' when they stand for 'those of left wing inclination that tend to think like we do'.

It has taken the Chinese around 5-6 generations to reach its current state of social integration following the immigration of large numbers following the finding of gold in the 1850's, the Italians and Greeks are reaching the 3-4th ........the NSW state premier is Italian, our Governor is Lebanese.

Hopefully as time passes and the recent arrivals of African,'middle eastern' Vietnamese and eastern European immigrants reach that important third generation stage, that generation will also feel at home here as well as remaining proud of their long cultural histories.

My family history? German, British, Irish, Chinese, Swedish..... who knows what else and who cares.
    With around 5-6 generations under my belt, I have no real feeling for my ancestry. It's Australian.

Regards
    Greg
    Chinese, Irish, English, Italian, Romany Gypsy, nephew maried a Lebanese Christian, why hell I even have Wards in MY family. I don't vilify anyone otherwise I'd have to throw rocks at myself..and I hate pain....
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Quote Originally Posted by 46150
    Bring back the White Australia Policy.......Enoch Powell ,RIP.
    Crikey 46150 (is that your old service number perchance) you've even managed to offend me with that foolish comment.

No Asians involved on the weekend as far as I have heard, and whether we like it or not, (and I do) we are an Asian nation, or were last time I looked at an atlas.

Midge Australia is it's own continent. There are seven. Africa Europe Asia North and South America Antarctica and Australia. Nothing much really to do with the subject but

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

Thumbs down Media/Govt

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy
    Not smut peddlers, they are media sales people. The only two purposes of all media - TV, Print, Radio et al, is to raise their ratings/circulation thus increasing their rate for ads and 2) to advance their proprietor's political philosophy or business interests - this is a poor second

They print/broadcast what we want to hear.
    Once upon a time you could read a newspaper and get a reasonably balanced view of the world because journalists simply reported the news. Then for some reason they decided it was fun to editorialise in an effort to get the readership to accept one view or another. These days the media (print in particular) are little more than mouthpieces for a particular political bent - primarily right-wing conservative. If you study the staff lists of almost all politicians, Federal and State mainstream political parties you will see an apalling preponderance of former media maggots. These are the same people who served their time "reporting" the news as their political masters intended us to see it. The current problems in Cronulla are being fuelled by the bias of the media and driven by politicians worried about the polls. The term, "of Middle Eastern appearance", IMHO is being trumpeted deliberately by the media at every opportunity in order to build a wedge in our community. Historically, wedge politics has been the most powerful weapon in the armory of conservative governments - and to be fair on a few occasions - progressive or sociallist governments.
    Whenever the Howard government begins to look bad in the opinion polls something like the Cronulla issue is beaten up to divert our attention from the real issues of the day. For example, it is conceded that someone (who may never be found out despite an inquiry) in the Coalition parties at the Federal level ramped up the old previously reported and forgotten issues of Bob Gerard's tax problems which diverted everyone's attention including the Beazley mob from the IR changes and VSU issues which deserved far more debate and scrutiny than was allowed. Those two pieces of legislation and the sedition legislation were rammed through the parliament after the Senate leader Robert Hill put 57 gag motions in force (expl: a gag motion is a method employed by the government in debate to end or bar debate on legislation). Something which has never happened in 105 years of Federation. But, what are we focussed on?? A contrived race riot (which John Howard blithely denies) cum drunken brawl on a cruddy little beach in Sydney. Its pathetic. No-one seems to care that our parliamentary institution and constitution are being trampled on by a government with far too much power. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:And to think I was going to stick to WW.

Default Seditious stuff..

oops! I think I just commited SEDITION!!!! Better hide in the shed.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Studley 2436
    Midge Australia is it's own continent.
    Yes it is, but in the context of my comments, there are half a dozen Asian Cities closer to Darwin than any Australian one.

Australia is located NEXT to Asia, and a bloody long way from Europe!

Cheers,

P

a bloody long way from Europe
    Only geographically though. There's very little in common between Australia/NZ and the rest of this neck of the woods politically and culturally. Hey, if we're an Asian country, how come Mr Mahathir doesn't want us to go to the summit?

Anyway, more retaliation last night. Reports of another SMS circulating calling all 'Lions of Lebanon' to strike back at the 'Aussies' next Sunday. Might be time to call in the army. Or the National Guard (do we have one of those?).

I'm glad I don't live there any more.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Pretty simple solution if our politicians had even the semblance of a backbone.

Pass some temporary emergency legislation providing police the power to arrest and charge anyone in the southern beaches area carrying offensive weapons, refusing to disperse etc. Draft in an enormous police presence from other areas and institute a zero tolerance policy. Arrest and charge all the thugs regardless of ethnicity, not too gently either. Problem would be to keep the lawyers away and make any sentences stick.

The old Riot Act would probably work too.

The interesting thing about these riots as opposed to the recent French version is that judging by their cars, the Lebs are not financially disadvantaged, so whats the issue?

Surfies and beach bums have always been territorial in Oz. Try catching a wave at any Sydney beach if the locals have deemed it their patch - white, black, yellow you'll still cop a hiding. So this has contributed, years of the Lebs being dissed at the beach. The other factor seems to be the enduring ME or Muslim attitude towards women - particularly at the lower end of the education and socio economic demographic. Any girl in a short skirt is a slut, a girl on the beach in a revealing swim suit is Jezebel. Taught by their Leb born parents and Muslim precepts, the young Leb men constantly shout, firstly, offers to 'service' the girls, then, upon refusal, torrents of gross sexual abuse.

We all know young men of any group are 'young, dumb and full of cum' so resentment grows amongst the young Lebs cause they aint getting any from these percieved 'sluts'. The Anglos dont like their girls being so treated and on it goes. Add the current generalised community suspicion of all things Muslim, and many ME's feeling marginalised, and we've got the environment for whats currently happening.

Like the Italian and the Greek immigrants of the 60's it'll all go in a generation.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

White Austrian policy?

You bloody idiot it would not work. There were “Red American Indian policy”, “Yellow Asian policy”, “Black African policy” and “Black aboriginal policy”. None of them worked.

You bloody idiot!!:mad:

gday everyone
    i had a bit of fun yesterday in a shop, i look like your average aussie irish convict desended yobbo. while i was in a shop the fella behind the counter and a few custermers were having a winge abought lebbos and how they shouldent be in "our country" and saying some fairly nasty things when they asked what i thought. the look on there faces when i told them that my wife is lebonese and therefore my son is half lebbo was brillent. my wife recons that becouse he is mixed irish and lebbo he will grow up to be a mad bommer that couldend be stufed and will go to the pub instead.

shep