Default Studs supporting a Lintel

Hi Folks,

When the engineer says my lintel is to be supported by 3 common studs each end what exactly does this mean?

I took it as having 1 jamb stud next to the lintel, 1 secondary jamb stud under the lintel member and then 2 common studs next to the jamb stud. Like this
    |||_____||| Or refer to attached for a more detailed view of my interpretation of 3 common studs each end.
    ||||.... ||||

Was this right or was it another config?

TIA

From my experience, I woould suggest 3 studs each end under the lintel, they are the ones that hold it up...that's how I did the lintel on the garage I just built.

Quote Originally Posted by ptyltd
    Hi Folks,

When the engineer says my lintel is to be supported by 3 common studs each end what exactly does this mean?

I took it as having 1 jamb stud next to the lintel, 1 secondary jamb stud under the lintel member and then 2 common studs next to the jamb stud. Like this
    |||_____||| Or refer to attached for a more detailed view of my interpretation of 3 common studs each end.
    ||||.... ||||

Was this right or was it another config?

TIA
    Extend the lintel over another two studs. Supported by 3 common studs.
    Common stud That timber grade and profile size that you are using as a normal stud.

Agree - if you look at your drawing you can see that your lintel is transferring the weight of 7 studs onto two studs. You need three studs, no gap between, supporting each end of the lintel.
    Judge not lest you're judging yourself

Thanks for clarifying that for me folks (framing plans now changed ). Guess what was confusing me was the fact that you can put additional studs both under and next to the lintel. As per attached I will have 3 studs under and 2 beside so all is sweet.

Bingo, and be sure to nail them all together.

On a similar topic, I installed some french doors that are 2800 wide with a lintel in an external wall 3500 wide 3200 high. I used 3 studs under each end of the Lintel. My problem now is there is a bit of give in the wall if i give a bit of a push at the top of the door Jam. I seems to be acting like a hinge about the top of the door jam.

A friend suggested running a few more studs from the floor bearer to the top plate beside the lintel supporting studs, but i dont see this as doing much because the majority of the give is directly above the middle of the doors (approx 1500 away) and the ends at of the wall dont seem to move.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ptyltd
    Thanks for clarifying that for me folks (framing plans now changed ). Guess what was confusing me was the fact that you can put additional studs both under and next to the lintel. As per attached I will have 3 studs under and 2 beside so all is sweet.
    This is straight from AS1684 - Timber framing code : two full length studs plus one secondary jamb stud (this supports the lintel directly ie 35mm bearing length) all studs are nail laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdazza
    This is straight from AS1684 - Timber framing code : two full length studs plus one secondary jamb stud (this supports the lintel directly ie 35mm bearing length) all studs are nail laminated.
    An engineers specification over rides AS1684.