Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default What thick finish would you use?

Ive got this stack of Tuart in my front yard at present... well for the next couple of years actually but anyway my curiousity got the better of me today as the rain came down and the missus relegated me to the doghouse for the day after me plan spending spree of Friday... so I grabbed a heart shaped round debarked and derotted it and ended up with a quite an interesting shape so I bunged it onto a 18 inch round of the same timber of which Ive got masses to play with and ended up with this in the photo...

Now the thing is Im thinking as Ive got a bunch of these I may just have to make some indoor/outdoor coffee tables for use either in a yuppie living room or in someones favorite nook in the garden {chairs yet to be carved! } but Im wondering what clear finish to give it? Im thinking something reletively thick and strong enough to take outdoors in weather or indoors

Any ideas?
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

And the top itself
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Its not like me to say this, but go with an oil finish. Its bout the only finish thats durable both indoors and outdoors. Means more maintanance, but......well its a trade off......

Not quite sure of your terminology of a thick finish in anycase as even shellac produces a thick finish.....(when applied properly) or poly-u can be applied very thinnly....

ANYWAY..HTH

CHeers

Shane

Thanks Shane
    These will be built and sold to pay for the boat so Im thinking low maintenance thick clear covering...

Envirotex, but its certainly not low cost....